CT Octoberfest 2017:
The 2017 Category Theory Octoberfest was held
on the weekend of Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th
at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
Following the tradition of past Octoberfests, this was
intended to be an informal meeting, covering all
areas of category theory and its applications.
Talks by PhD students and young researchers were
Pre-Octoberfest Lecture: There was a special lecture by Prof. Dana Scott on Friday 27 October 4:30-6 pm. A video of the lecture can be found at this link. The lecture was followed by a special appearance of LambdaMan!
The following information can be useful for travel to Pittsburgh and CMU:
- Directions to CMU can be found at this link.
- A campus map can be downloaded from this
- Lectures will be held in Baker Hall at CMU in the Adamson Wing, BH 136A.
- Parking along Frew St. is metered on Saturdays, but there is free parking in the East Campus Garage on Forbes Ave.
A block of rooms at a discounted rate of roughly $130/night have been reserved at the
in the nearby neighborhood East Liberty. To make a reservation, you can call the hotel and ask for the Category Theory Octoberfest rate. If you have trouble, contact Mary Grace Joseph at CMU (mjoseph at andrew dot cmu dot edu), and she will help you make a reservation. There will be a shuttle between the Hotel Indigo and CMU each day.
There are various other hotels nearby (some closer than the Indigo) where you can also book accommodation on your own, e.g.:
Registration and submission of talks
- There is no registration fee. Registration is optional, but participants are requested to contact the organizers in advance if they plan to attend.
- Submission of talks is now closed.
Talks will be on Saturday and Sunday, concluding Sunday by 1pm.
There will be a social event on Saturday evening.
A detailed program of talks is now available here.
Slides from some of the talks are here:
- Steve Awodey (awodey at cmu dot edu)
- Jonas Frey (jonasf at andrew dot cmu dot edu)
The organizers gratefully acknowledge the support of the Air Force Office of Scientific Research through MURI grant FA9550-15-1-0053.
This page was last modified on
October 30th, 2017 by Steve Awodey
Special thanks to Nicola Gambino ;-)