88-344: Organizational Intelligence in the Information Age

Course Data:

When: Spring 2000; MWF 9:30-10:20
Where: Doherty Hall A317
Who: Professor Larry Heimann
319E Porter Hall, 8-8211
lheimann@andrew.cmu.edu

Course Description

Across all organizations people find that the actions they take affect, and are affected by, the technology, norms, procedures, culture, and members of the organization. In order to navigate through this organizational world, agents need a better understanding of social and organizational intelligence. How do organizations (and the people who populate them) acquire and then process information? In what ways have new technologies affected the norms, procedures, and culture of organizations? How do leaders successfully guide their organizations through a world where new information and new technologies are constantly being produced? This course is about information assessment and analysis in organizations, and the way organizations are transformed by technology.

Course Requirement

Grades in the course will be determined by three take-home exams (20% each), a consulting project (30%) and class participation and quizzes (10%). Each of these factors is discussed further below.

Take-Home Exams

There will be three take home exams during the semester. You will have one week to complete exams 1 & 2. I am granting extra time on exam 3 because I understand the end-of-the-semester crunch that most students face and am trying to be accomodating (If there are any complaints about the grace period, I will revoke it -- after all it is for students not me). The official exam dates are as follows:

Handed out on: Due in class by:
  Exam 1 February 11 February 18
  Exam 2 March 17 March 24
  Exam 3 April 28 May 5*

Exams are due at the beginning of class. Exams turned in after that time are considered tardy and subject to a 10 point penalty per day. (I am a stickler for punctuality--don't be late.) All exams are open book, open notes exams, but students are strictly prohibited from working with one another on these exams. Students are not allowed to discuss the questions amongst themselves, proofread each other's papers, or ask any other student or faculty member for help on these exams or the material they contain. I have posted more information on cheating on-line that can help you. If there are questions about the exam itself or what is/is not permissible, please direct your questions to me alone. You are on your honor to conduct yourself appropriately.

Lastly, exams should be typed and proofread/spellchecked. Writing mechanics do count towards the grade and students will lose points for spelling mistakes, run-on sentences and paragraphs, and other writing errors. Spell checkers are wonderful things--use them. If you need help with writing because English is not your native language, please see me and I can help you find the resources you need.

Consulting Project

Students will be assigned to work in groups of six or seven people and be given a client whom they will assisting. Working as a consulting team, each group will first assess the goals and objectives of the client organization and how hey acquire, process, and utilize information. Applying principles from the class, the teams will then identify any weaknesses in the acquisition, processing, and/or utilization of information and propose concrete strategies for the client to address these weaknesses.

Each team will write a detailed report for the client and make a presentation of their findings during the final week of classes. (Depending on client availability, some presentations may be done during non-class hours that week. More information on scheduling will follow.) Project grades are a function of both the written report (60%) and the presentation (40%). No team member will receive a project grade higher than the team grade, but those who do not do their fair share of the work on the team project should expect a significant penalty applied to their project grade. There will be a peer evaluation at the end of the semester to help identify potential free riders and others who have not adequately contributed to their team's success.

Class Participation

Even though this is a lecture-based class, I do encourage participation through various means. There will be an occasional case presented in case for discussion as well. The point of these exercises is to make the abstract concepts covered in class more concrete. Students are expected to participate during these exercises. Furthermore, there may be occasional quizzes given out at the beginning of class. Students who miss either a discussion session or quiz receive a zero on that assignment, but the lowest of these grades will be dropped.

Course Readings

The following books are available for this course:

1. Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy by Carl Shapiro and Hal Varian. (1998) Publisher: Harvard Business School Press; ISBN 087584863X

2. The Knowledge Evolution: Expanding Organizational Intelligence by Verna Allee. (1997) Publisher: Butterworth-Heinemann; ISBN 075069842

3. Acceptable Risks: Politics, Policy and Risky Technologies by C.F. Larry Heimann. (1997) Publisher: University of Michigan Press; ISBN 0472108131
In addition, last year I used the following books:

• Management Information Systems: New Approaches to Organization and Technology by K. Laudon and J. Laudon, 5th edition. (1998) Publisher: Prentice Hall; ISBN 0138577234

• Managerial Dilemmas by Gary Miller. (1993) Publisher: Cambridge University Press; ISBN: 0521457696
I have not chosen to use these two books this year for cost reasons -- I am trying to keep your additional expenses at a minimum and these books (especially Laudon & Laudon) aren't cheap. However, Laudon & Laudon 6th ed. is available at the book store (for 66-171) and you may be able to get copies of both these books from friends who took this course last year. I've kept the reading notations for those texts on the syllabus for your benefit. If you choose not to get these books, that's absolutely fine, but make sure you don't miss lecture on those days!

In addition to the readings from these books, there will be some additional readings that will either be made available in class or on the internet.

Office Hours

My office hours this semester are Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30 to 2:45pm. You cannot make an appointment for those times -- it is strictly a first come, first served basis at that time. However, I am available for appointments on other days. I am also in most of the day on Monday and Wednesday and students are certainly welcome to stop in at those times without an appointment. If I am busy at the moment, I will be happy to schedule an appointment for a later meeting. Beginning in Feburary I will be unavailable on Fridays after class.

Tentative Schedule

The following is a tentative list of topics and the dates they will be covered. This schedule is subject to change depending on the progress we make each class.

A. Foundations

1. The Changing Organizational Environment of the Information Age (1/17 -- 1/21)

2. Management Challenges in the Information Age (1/24 -- 1/26)

3. Information Problems Every Organization Faces (1/28 -- 2/4)

4. Structure and Organizational Decision-Making (2/7 -- 2/11)

B. Principles of Knowledge Management

1. Knowledge and Organizational Culture (2/14 -- 2/18)

2. Knowledge = Power = Politics (2/21 -- 2/25)

3. Knowledge and Strategic Decisions (2/28 -- 3/ 3)

4. Knowledge Management Strategies (3/8 -- 3/10)

5. Knowledge Management and Technology (3/13 -- 3/17)

C. Organizations, Information, and Technology

1. Redesigning the Organization with Information Systems (3/20 -- 3/24)

2. Challenges in Implementing Information Systems (4/3 -- 4/7)

3. Controlling Information Systems (4/10 -- 4/17)

4. Ethical and Social Issues Related to Information Systems (4/19 -- 4/21)

5. Managing in an Era of Constant Innovation (4/24 -- 4/28)

D. Course Wrap-Up and Presentations

(5/1 -- 5/5)

I reserve the right to make adjustments to this syllabus during the course of the semester as needed.

These pages are relevant for the Spring 2000 semester.
Any questions or problems with these pages should be sent to Professor H.

You have been visiting:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/88-272/344-syllabus.html

In a PC world it takes
courage to Think Different.
A good site for learning more
about the Klingon language
  Quchta' joH Yahweh HoSwIj.