(PWR) Fr. Roy Bourgeois at CMU Tuesday, and upcoming IMF/WB actions in DC

From: mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 14:08:22 EDT

It has been a while since PWR has sent out a mass email
to the list, but we've been very active recently on
research and outreach with campus workers for the
living wage campaign. You can still get involved --
drop PWR an email: pwr@andrew.cmu.edu

A few announcements:

1. Father Roy Bourgeois, long time activist on the
school of the americas and other latin american issues.
Tuesday April 8, UC Connan rm, 3pm.

2. Mass demonstrations in Washington, DC April 11-13
Pittsburgh Organizing Group meeting April 8, project 1877.

3. By the way, AB Political Speakers will be showing
Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine for FREE in
McConomy Auditorium, Tuesday April 15th. Expect
an email with times soon.

more details below.

- matt

------

Fr. Roy Bourgeois Speaking Tour April 8-10th

From Latin America to Iraq: The Struggle for Peace and Justice.

Fr. Roy Bourgeois, a founder of the School of the Americas Watch
and an outspoken critic of US foreign policy, has spent four years
in federal prison as a result of his nonviolent protests against the
U.S. Army's infamous School of the Americas. In early January, Fr.
Roy was part of religious delegation that traveled to Iraq and was
recently arrested along with 60 other religious leaders outside of
the Whitehouse, protesting the US invasion of Iraq.

Tuesday, April 8th:

3-5pm: Speaking event at CMU (University Center-Connan Room).
More Info: Matt Toups(mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu).

7-9pm: Speaking at Duquesne University (Mellon Bldg-Lecture Hall).
More info: Matt Walsh(walshmj@duq.edu).

----

DC demos -- April 10-15 Anti-War, Corporate Globaliation and Latin American solidarity

POG will be traveling to DC this weekend as part of a major mobilization against the War and its connections to the IMF, WB, and School of the America's. We are organizing transportation and housing (at a friendly church) for anyone who's interested. We will be leaving Friday evening and returning late Sunday. The cost of the trip is tentatively 30$, but this will probably be lowered. The two major events in DC are a mass march against the war on Saturday and a Sunday mass march to the World Bank-IMF buildings in DC. In between are concerts, shows, puppets, teach-ins, and ths sights and sounds of DC.

There is a logistics meeting for anyone interested in going to DC- Tomorrow April 8 (Tuesday) at 7pm at the 1877 Community center. 1877 is located at 4805 Penn Avenue at Mathilda Street (three blocks from the Thomas Merton Center). You can reach it by bus via the 86B and UV lines. They are also very bicycle friendly and you may bring your bike inside. Please email us to reserve a spot for the trip and as usual feel free to ask many questions.

As the Bush administration continues to wage war against Iraq, extending its military and political influence to every corner of the globe, millions are resisting. On April 10-15, thousands will gather in Washington to say no to US military and economic intervention! We are making connections between the war in Iraq and US military involvement in Latin America because we know that Bush's war didn't start with Afghanistan, nor will it end with Iraq.

This is a crucial time for us to link the issues of Military and Economic Intervention and bring the Peace movement together with the Movement for economic justice. From Latin America to the Middle East, we will stand up against US intervention and build a movement without borders!

Economic oppression and military repression are flip sides of the globalization coin. The economic rape of the poor that accompanies corporate globalization could not stand without the repressive military apparatus that brutalizes those who rise up to resist.

contact: pog@mutualaid.org

http://www.organizepittsburgh.org http://www.globalizethis.org http://www.lasc.org