(PWR) thursday meeting, mckenna room; wb/imf protests and living wage strategy

From: mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 17:02:51 EDT

hola PWR --

Our weekly meeting will be this Thursday,
at 5pm in the McKenna Room, 2nd floor of the
University Center.

1. Lots of people in PWR are going to DC for
the convergence around the IMF and World Bank's
annual meetings. We're trying to help coordinate
rides and other logistics.

2. Campus Living Wage strategy: Prof. Kathy Newman
will be coming in to work with us on strategy for
achieving concrete gains for workers on campus.

(also, you guys got victor's email about student
contacts to the WRC -- we definitely intend to
keep up pressure in the anti-sweatshop movement;
USAS has lots of campaigns still going on we can work on)

see you all at 5pm in the mckenna room, thursday.

- matt

also, lots going on in the next week:

* later thursday evening, 7:30pm: indymedia newsreel
  and "this is what democracy looks like" -- good protest
  documentary. margaret morrison 103.
* saturday, 3pm: anti-war rally, lawn of soldiers and sailors.
  4141 Fifth Avenue, Oakland (u. pitt). No war on iraq.
* sunday 11:30am: anti-sweatshop demonstration at PNC Park.
  No Sweatshops, Bucco.
* sunday 7pm: world bank / international monetary fund teach-in.
  david lawrence hall auditorium, u. pitt. part of the
  national speaking tour by 50 years is enough and jubilee.
  also, get info on rides to DC (www.organizepittsburgh.org)
  followed by a march through oakland, 9pm.
* monday 7:30pm: Howard Zinn, UC Rangos.

... sept 25-29, convergence in DC.
http://www.abolishthebank.org
http://www.globalizethis.org