(PWR) 6pm thursday meeting, class of 1987 room

From: mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 03:43:56 EST

Hey everyone,

first off, this week we will meet at 6pm instead of 5:30,
mostly for room reasons. The meeting should be pretty
short though. (really)

(a fair amount of the recent news has been added to
the PWR website, http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/org/usas
if you haven't seen it lately, check it out)

1. we have a table reserved for monday afternoon for fundraising
stuff. alisha is working on fair trade co-op items (chocolate, etc)
and i'm looking into sweatfree tshirts we can silkscreen (mad props
to elina). we'd love to get more people involved

2. jamie and i met with president cohon monday, progress is
happening on the code of conduct. we'll summarize all of
that business.

2a. on a related note, president cohon is going to be fielding
questions from us students next tuesday, from 4:45 to 6pm in
the UC connan room. we should all go and request an update on
the code of conduct.

3. we have AB funding for jim keady/leslie kretzu
(http://www.nikewages.org ... good website), we'll be talking dates
and times now. we also have mail from jobs with justice
(http://www.jwj.org) about the big national student day
of action this year, and also more info on the occupation
movie on the harvard living wage.

so remember, 6pm, thursday, UC class of 1987 room.

peace
matt

ps - in other news:

* the Zfilms showing of "new rulers of the world" did not happen
last tuesday, but will be shown this saturday and next thursday.
http://monologues.jotpuree.com/zfilms/2002/new_rulers.html

* pitt's Students in Solidarity, our unofficial sister organization,
(http://www.pitt.edu/~leftists) recently had an eventful tabling
which the pitt news labeled a "brew ha ha" :
http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/02/21/3c747e24365b4

i see this an example of the kind of fun we'd have if we were
more visible, and what things would be like if we had a real
school newspaper to cover things.

* speaking of the pitt news having the scoop, they also
have a story on CMU grad students an unionizing.

http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/02/21/3c747b80afd0e

no big news there, but if anyone out there knows anything
about this or has ideas, let us know. as you may have heard,
NYU grad students were recently unionized legally, which
is the first time this has happened at a PRIVATE university.
big precedent. (to be fair, this is a tartan byline)

* the black radical congress is having a big rally on freedom
corner on the hill comemorating the death of malcom x and
protesting current political prisoners in the US.

* the amnesty event is this monday.