(PWR) Re: Code of Conduct

From: rmccombs (rmccombs@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 20:42:13 EST

Dear President Jared Cohon:

As a the contact representative and co-leader for Carnegie Mellon?s United Students Against Sweatshops chapter, I received an email confirming receipt
of our previous letter dated October 4th, 2001. Aside from that email it seems as if no action has been taken to adopt the code of conduct developed
by the anti-sweatshop task force in the spring of 2001 of which I was part.

The anti-sweatshop taskforce spent much time and energy in developing the code of conduct and feel that it has not had the priority it deserves. Currently many products sold on our campus are most probably made with sweatshop labor. We can make this claim by looking at the factory locations of where these products are made and independent documentation from these locations and the poor conditions of these factories. The most effective way to alleviate this is by adopting a code of conduct and implementing monitoring groups. It is now mid February of 2002 and we would like the administration to take more prompt action..

I understand that it takes time to implement change, but the administration
has had the code of conduct we created since the spring of 2001. Our group
has been raising awareness of this issue on campus and have an on-going petition from faculty, students and staff that supports the goals of the code of conduct to prevent sweatshop labor and asks that the administration
promptly adopts the code. This petition is growing and I will send a copy to your office in the next week. We respectfully request that the code of conduct be adopted and enacted by mid semester of Spring 2002.

As students we are ready to take an active role in making a just world where licensed products of our University are made under equitable conditions. We are confident that this will enhance Carnegie Mellon University's image and encourage a more socially responsible campus.

Sincerely,
Brad McCombs
and
Members of PWR USAS