62-325 The View Camera

Notes & Miscellany
New notes will be added to the top of this page

Sodium Sulfite - Easy Recipe

In order to complete processing of Polariod Type 55 P/N negatives, you need to clear the slime off with a solution of sodium sulfite. Here's an easy way to mix it:
1) Measure two film cans full of Kodak Sodium Sulfite
2) Dissolve in 15.5 ounces of warm water
The film can referred to here is the standard little black plastic container that 35mm rolls of Kodak film come in.

Recommended Reading

The Nature of Photographs, by Stephen Shore.
Call Number: 770.1 S55N
This book is held on reserve at the Hunt Library main desk. It can be checked out for two hours.

Introductory Notes

Equipment available for your use includes Included in each kit are film holders, dark cloth, cable release, pouches and lens caps for each lens, a magnifying loupe and a Sekonic spot/incident digital light meter. When you check out a camera, you will also specify if you want regular or bag bellows, and which of 3 lenses (90, 150, and 210 mm) you want. You must supply your own film and either canned air or a blower brush, negative storage pages, and paper.

Film and Paper As this is an advanced course, the film and paper you choose is up to you. If you're wondering how much film you'll need, I would expect you to go through 100 sheets without too much effort. If you shoot 8 exposures a week for 12 weeks, you've just about used it up. Is there any reason to buy 25 sheet boxes, which costs more per sheet than a 100 sheet box? Yes-- if you decide to switch film, you're not stuck with so much of an emulsion you don't want.
Regarding paper, I want everyone to print BIG at least once during this course. By big I mean at least 16x20", so you will need to buy at least 10-sheets of 16x20 paper. If you have never printed on anything but RC paper, I would encourage you to try out some old-fashioned fiber-base printing paper at some point during this course.

The shooting studio is available for your use, by reservation only. There will be significant demand for use of this facility by students from other classes.

Emily Rafalak is an important resource for you. She runs the equipment checkout cage and maintains the darkrooms. She is very knowledgeable in photographic procedures and is far more readily available for your consultation that your instructor is. She is here roughly during regular business hours. Emily's phone number is x4398; her email address is emilyg. You would be wise to stay in her good graces.

There is a $45 lab fee for this course, which pays for the chemicals which are available for your use, and is charged directly to your student account.