Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
Below are some of the resources available for finding historical statistics. The resources listed in General are applicable to all topics. Hunt Library also has older government documents, including census materials, and other types of publications that contain statistics. Please ask at the reference desk if you have any questions or are having trouble locating the statistics that you need.
- African History: Statistical Resources
- African American History: Statistical Resources
- American History: Statistical Resources
- Asian History: Statistical Resources
- Atlantic World: Statistical Resources
- Business and Industrial History: Statistical Resources
- Environmental History: Statistical Resources
- European History: Statistical Resources
- History of Medicine: Statistical Resources
- Labor and Economic History: Statistical Resources
- Latin American and Caribbean History: Statistical Resources
- Pittsburgh History: Statistical Resources
- Sports History: Statistical Resources
- Urban History: Statistical Resources
- Women's History: Statistical Resources
Back to top
- Alderson, Michael Rowland. International Mortality Statistics. New York, NY: Facts on File Inc., 1981.
HUNT REF-1 HB1321 .A45
- American Statistics Index. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Information Service, ca. 1973-present (updated monthly).
HUNT REF/MICRO 016.3173 A51
American Statistics Index via Proquest Statistical Insight
(Carnegie Mellon users only)
1973-present (updated monthly)
Index to statistical publications of the U. S. government, including census information. The documents from 1978 to the present are available on microfiche in the Hunt Library reference room. Documents published before this may be available in print in Hunt Library. Electronic version has links to some full text documents as well as other relevant sites.
- Caplow, Theodore, Louis Hicks, and Ben J. Wattenberg. The First Measured Century: An Illustrated Guide to Trends in America, 1900-2000. Washington, D.C.: AEI Press, c2001.
HUNT REF-1 HN60 .C38 2001
- CESSDA: Council of European Social Science Data Archives
Promoting "the acquisition, archiving and distribution of electronic data for social science teaching and research in Europe," this site includes a data catalogue and links to social science data archives throughout the world.
- Data Series Online (Economic History Services of EH.net)
Links to data series that can be downloaded.
Quick way to see statistical information such as budgets, press releases, programs, etc., available from government agencies on the Web.
- Flora, Peter. State, Economy, and Society in Western Europe 1815-1975: A Data Handbook in Two Volumes. 2 vols. Frankfurt am Main: Campus Verlag, 1987.
HUNT REF-1 306.3 F63S
- Historical Statistics of the United States: Millennial Edition Online (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times to 1970. Washington, D. C.: U. S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, 1976.
HUNT REF-1 HA202 .A385 1976
Historical Statistics of the United States: Earliest Times to the Present. 5 vols. New York: Cambridge University Press, c2006.
HUNT REF-1 HA202 .H57 2006
- ICPSR: Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research: Social Science Data and Resources for Researchers
Download data from the world's largest archive of computerized social science data. The Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is a membership-based, not-for-profit organization. Since Carnegie Mellon is a member, you can download data from the ICPSR site. First time users need to register, after that your email address will be used as a password. To find ICPSR codebooks in Hunt Library, search the library catalog. Type ICPSR as a keyword and click on "words or phrases." If you want to know what ICPSR materials we have on a particular topic, type ICPSR and your topic word, then click on "words and phrases," e. g., ICPSR and population. If you have any questions about ICPSR, contact Afeworki Paulos, Carnegie Mellon's ICPSR Official Representative.
- Index to International Statistics via Proquest Statistical Insight (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1983-present (updated monthly)
Index to statistical publications from international and intergovernmental organizations. To see which of these publications are in the University Libraries, use Cameo.
- Integrated Public Use Microdata Series (IPUMS) (Minnesota Historical Census Projects, Department of History, University of Minnesota)
- International Financial Statistics (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Approximately 32,000 time series, from ca. 1945-present, covering more than 200 countries and areas.
- Kasarda, John D. Urban Underclass Database Computer File. New York: Social Science Research Council, [1993?].
HUNT REF-1 305.569 K19U
Kept at the Hunt Library reference desk, these 6 computer disks require an IBM PC or compatible; hard drive and a software package (e.g., SAS PC, SPSS PC, or Systat) capable of reading and manipulating the raw data. Manual is included.
- Kurian, George Thomas. Datapedia of the United States: American History in Numbers. Lanham, MD: Bernan, c2007.
HUNT REF-1 HA202 .D38X 2007
- Mitchell, B. R. International Historical Statistics: Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2005. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
HUNT REF-1 HA4675 .M552 2007
- Mitchell, B. R. International Historical Statistics: The Americas, 1750-1993. New York: Stockton Press, 1998.
HUNT REF-1 HA175 .M55 2003
- Mitchell, B. R. International Historical Statistics: Europe, 1750-2005. New York, N.Y.: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
HUNT REF-1 HA1107 .M5 2007
- Social Explorer (Carnegie Mellon users only)
ca. 1790-present. Quick and easy access to current and historical census data and demographic information. Includes:
over 40 billion data elements, 200,000 variables and more than 18,000 interactive maps from 1790 to 2010. The entire US Census from 1790 to 2000, plus the first 2010 census data release. All annual updates from the American Community Survey. InfoGroup data on religious congregations for the United States for 2009, including maps for counties, and special census areas, as well as point maps of the actual congregation locations (to be updated yearly). The Religious Congregations and Membership Study (RCMS) from 1980 to 2000. (To be updated in 2012.) Carbon Emissions Data for 2002 from the Vulcan Project.Allows the creation of:
- thematic and interactive maps
- reports at all geographic levels including the state, county, census tract, block group, zip code and census place (where the data exist).
- custom maps
- downloadable data
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. Washington, D. C.: U. S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Full text: 1878-present.
Print: 1878-present (updated annually).
HUNT REF-1 HA202
- Statistical Reference Index: A Selective Guide to American Statistical Publications from Sources Other than the U.S. Government. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Information Service, 1980-present (updated monthly).
HUNT REF/MICRO 016.3173 S79
Statistical Reference Index via Proquest Statistical Insight (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1980-present (updated monthly)
Index to statistical publications from state governments and private organizations. Most of the documents available in microfiche in the Hunt Library reference room.
- Statistical Resources on the Web (Documents Center, University of Michigan)
- Proquest Statistical Insight (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Dates vary (updated monthly)
Electronic access to indexes of over 100,000 statistical publications from the federal government via the American Statistics Index (1973-present), state and private associations via the Statistical Reference Index (1980-present), and international sources via the Index to International Statistics (1983-present). Indexes can be searched in combination or individually. Some documents have links to the full text on the web, some documents may be available in print in the University Libraries, but most are available on microfiche in Hunt Library. The database also includes access to the Statistical Abstracts of the United States, 1996-present. There are also links to other relevant sites.
- U.S. Census Bureau Maps and Cartographic Resources (U.S. Census Bureau)
- United Nations. Statistical Division. Demographic Yearbook. Annuaire Démographique. New York [etc.]: Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, United Nations.
Print: 1951, 1953, 1955-1982, 1984-1992, 1994-present.
Latest 2 years in Hunt Reference under call number HA17 .D45; earlier on the 3rd floor shelved by title Demographic Yearbook.
- United Nations. Statistical Division. Demographic Yearbook. Historical Supplement [computer file] = Annuaire Démographique. Supplément Hstorique. New York: United Nations Publications, c2000- .
HUNT REF-1 HA17 .D452 1948-1997
CD-ROM disc is available at the Hunt Library Reference Desk.
- United Nations. Statistical Office. Monthly Bulletin of Statistics. [Lake Success, N.Y.: The Office, 1947- ].
Print: v. 1, 1947-present.
- United Nations. Statistical Office. Statistical Yearbook. Annuaire Statistique. New York [etc.]: United Nations.
Print: 1948-1961, 1963, 1969-1972, 1976-1983/84, 1990/91, 1993-present.
Latest 2 years in Hunt Ref-1 HA12.5 .U63; earlier with journals on 3rd floor shelved under Statistical Yearbook.
- United States Economic Census Publications
- United States Historical Census Data Browser (University of Virginia)
An easy to use site which contains data describing the people and the economy of the US for each state and county from 1790 to 1970.
- Yahoo!: Government: Statistics
- Yahoo!: Social Science: Social Research: Data Collections
Septemberl 2011 -- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sc24/History/statistics.html
Sue Collins, Senior Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org