Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
Below are resources for finding historical maps. Hunt Library has many other historical maps, too numerous to list here. Many can be found by doing a subject keyword search in the library catalog, using the terms historical geography maps X, where X is the subject in which you are interested, e. g., historical geography maps europe. If you need help finding historical maps, please ask at the Hunt Library reference desk.
- African History: Maps
- African American History: Maps
- American History: Maps
- Asian History: Maps
- Atlantic World: Maps
- Business and Industrial History: Maps
- Environmental History: Maps
- European History: Maps
- Historic Preservation: Maps
- Latin American and Caribbean History: Maps
- Pittsburgh History: Maps
- Urban History: Maps
Back to top
- David Rumsey Map Collection
- The DIR and ORB Antique and Medieval Atlas (Cristos Nussli, On-Line Reference Books for Medieval Studies, De Imperatoribus Romanis: An Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors)
- Fire Insurance Maps from the Sanborn Map Company Archives: Late 19th Century to 1990, Pennsylvania. Bethesda, Md.: University Publications of America, c. 1991.
HUNT MFILM-3 912.73 S19P415A PT.1-40 and Guide.
- Harvard Map Collection (Harvard University)
Links to historical map sites, etc.
- Haywood, John, ed. The Complete Atlas of World History. 3 vols. Armonk, N.Y.: Sharpe Reference, c1997.
HUNT REF-1 G1030 .C66 1997
- Historical Maps and Charts (Office of Coast Survey, NOAA)
over 20,000 maps and charts from the late 1700s to present day. The Collection includes some of the nation's earliest nautical charts, hydrographic surveys, topographic surveys, geodetic surveys, city plans and Civil War battle maps.
- Historical Maps Online (University of Illinois)
Search or browse images of maps charting the last 400 years of historical development in Illinois and the Northwest Territory.
- Manufacturers Mutual Fire Insurance Company Industrial Site Maps: 1894-1954. Alexandria, Va.: Chadwyck-Healey, 1991.
HUNT MFICHE-3 338.0973 M294 and Guide
- Map Collections: 1544-1996 (American Memory, Library of Congress)
Search by keyword, or browse by Subject, Creator, Geographic Location or Title Indexes. Map categories include: Cities and Towns; Conservation and Environment; Discovery and Exploration; General Maps; Immigration and Settlement; Military Battles and Campaigns; Transportation and Communication.
- Map History/History of Cartography-THE Gateway to the Subject (Tony Campbell, Map Librarian, The British Library)
Links to collections, conferences, fellowships, journals, internet resources, etc.
- Odden's Bookmarks: The Fascinating World of Maps and Mapping (Roelef P. Oddens, Faculty of Geographical Sciences, Utrecht University)
Browse or search for links to map collections, catalogues, maps and atlases (old and new), etc.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (General Libraries, University of Texas at Austin)
Comprehensive site for maps from all over the world, arranged by region, current as well as Historical Maps. Also includes links to other Historical Map Web Sites, as well as links to city, country, state and weather map sites.
- Perseus Digital Library (Gregory Crane, Tufts University)
- Railroad Maps, 1828-1900 (American Memory, Library of Congress)
Search by keyword or browse by geographic location, railroad line, subject, etc.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: California. Teaneck, N. J.: Chadwyck-Healey, 1984.
HUNT MFILM-3 912.73 S19C153 No. 1-72, ca. 1890-1955.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Illinois. Teaneck, N. J.: Chadwyck-Healey, 1983.
HUNT MFILM-3 912.73 S19I29 No. 1-66, ca. 1890-1976.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Massachusetts. Teaneck, N. J.: Chadwyck-Healey, 1983.
HUNT MFILM-3 912.73 S19M414 No. 1-48, ca. 1880-1950.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Pennsylvania. Teaneck, N. J.: Chadwyck-Healey, 1984.
HUNT MFILM-3 912.73 S19P415 No. 1-73, ca. 1880-1950.
- Segal, Aaron. An Atlas of International Migration. New Jersey: Hans Zell Publishers, 1993.
HUNT REF-1 G1046 .E27 S4 1993
- Shepherd, William R. Historical Atlas. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1964.
HUNT REF-1 912 S54H9
- The Times Atlas of European History. London: Times Books, 1998.
HUNT REF-1 G1797 .21.S1 T5 1998
- Times Atlas of World History. Maplewood, N. J.: Hammond Incorporated, 1993.
HUNT REF-1/ATLAS G1030 .T54 1993
- U.S. Census Bureau Maps and Cartographic Resources (U.S. Census Bureau)
- WWW-VL: History: Maps
- Yahoo! Arts: Humanities: History: Maps
April 2011-- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sc24/History/maps.html
Sue Collins, Senior Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org