Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
By Resource By Region
Working from home or using wireless? Use the Off-Campus/Wireless Access link.
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Below are archives, libraries, and museums for Asian history. For additional resources, see History: Archives, Libraries, and Museums. To search for archival materials, use the resources at History: Databases and Indexes: Archival Resources.Asian History:Archives, Libraries, and MuseumsBack to top
Associations, Organizations, and Institutes
For additional listings, see History: Associations, Organizations, and Institutes.Asian History:Associations, Organizations, and InstitutesBack to top
Sometimes you may need some information to get more familiar with your topic. Additional resources are listed at History: Background.Asian History:BackgroundBack to top
- Bowman, John S. Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture. New York: Columbia University Press, c2000.
HUNT REF-1 DS33 .C63 2000
- Carr, Brian and and Indira Mahalingam, eds. Companion Encyclopedia of Asian Philosophy. New York: Routledge, 1997.
HUNT REF-1 B121 .C66 1997
- Ember, Melvin, Carol R. Ember, and Ian Skoggard, eds. Encyclopedia of Diasporas: Immigrant and Refugee Cultures Around the World. 2 vols. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum, 2004.
HUNT REF-1 JV6225 .E53 2004
- Embree, Ainslie Thomas, ed. The Encyclopedia of Asian History. 4 vols. New York: Scribner, 1988.
HUNT REF-1 DS31 .E53 1987
- Higham, Charles. Encyclopedia of Ancient Asian Civilizations. New York: Facts On File, c2004.
HUNT REF-1 DS12 .H5 2004
- Leeming, David A. A Dictionary of Asian Mythology. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
HUNT REF-1 BL1005 .L46 2001
- Levinson, David and Karen Christensen. Encyclopedia of Modern Asia. 6 vols. New York: Scribner, 2002.
HUNT REF-1 DS4 .L48 2002
- Louis-Frédéric. Encyclopaedia of Asian Civilizations. 11 vols. Paris: Jean-Michel Place, c1987.
HUNT REF-1 DS4 .L68 1987
- Ng, Franklin, ed. The Asian American Encyclopedia. 6 vols. New York: Marshall Cavendish, c1995.
HUNT REF-1 E184 .O6 A827 1995
- Preston, Ian, ed. A Political Chronology of Central, South and East Asia. London: Europa, 2001.
HUNT REF-1 DS327.5 .P65 2001
- Shavit, David. The United States in Asia: a Historical Dictionary. New York: Greenwood Press, 1990.
HUNT REF-1 DS33 .4.U6 S46 1990
- West, Barbara A. Encyclopedia of the Peoples of Asia and Oceania. 2 vols. New York: Facts On File, c2009.
HUNT REF-1 GN625 .W47 2009
Below are biographical resources for Asian History. Some of the general resources listed at History: Biographical Resources may be useful, too.Asian History:Biographical ResourcesBack to top
- Kim, Hyung-chan, ed. Distinguished Asian Americans: A Biographical Dictionary. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1999.
HUNT REF-1 E184 .O6 D57 1999
- Zia, Helen and Susan B. Gall, eds. Notable Asian Americans. New York: Gale Research, c1995.
HUNT REF-1 E184 .O6 N67 1995
Databases and Indexes
Below are some databases and print indexes that you can use to find books and articles on topics dealing with Asian history. For a more complete listing of those relevant to History, see History: Databases and Indexes. If you need help in selecting or using a database or index for your research, please contact the Hunt Library reference desk.
- Southeast Asian History: Databases and Indexes
If full text links for journal articles are not provided, click on to see retrieval options. This is only for journal article citations, and may not be available in all databases. Otherwise, use Cameo and the Find e-journal list to see if materials available to you. If they aren't, you can use Illiad, the interlibrary loan service for books and journals, to obtain the material. For books only, you can also use EZ Borrow (books get here in about 3-5 days)
- America: History and Life (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1954-present (updated monthly).
Citations and some abstracts to journal articles, dissertations, and book and media reviews on United States and Canadian history from prehistory to the present. Covers all historical topics, including foreign policy, and a variety of disciplines including popular culture, gender studies, anthropology, literature and folklore, etc. Also has a non-US history counterpart Historical Abstracts. You can also search America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts simultaneously.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies.
Online: 1971-present (updated trimonthly)
Available: Bibliography of Asian Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Citations to books, journal articles, chapters in edited volumes, conference proceedings, anthologies, and Festschriften, etc. All areas of Asian studies are covered, including literature, history, economics, philosophy & religion, anthropology, etc.
- Historical Abstracts (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1954-present (Updated monthly).
Citations and some abstracts of journal articles, books, and dissertations on world history from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada). It covers all historical topics, including foreign policy, and a variety of disciplines including religion, gender studies, anthropology, political science, etc. Also has a U. S. and and Canadian history counterpart, America: History and Life. You can also search America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts simultaneously.
- JSTOR (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search the full text of 13 Asian Studies journals. Dates vary by title of journal. No current issues are included.
Back to top Back to East Asian History Back to South Asian History Back to Southeast Asian History
For additional resources, see History: Discussion Lists.Asian History:Discussion ListsBack to top
Internet GuidesAsian History:Internet GuidesBack to top
Below are some major journals in Asian history. Use the library catalog and the Find e-journal list to search for other journal titles in the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, or use the databases listed above to find journal articles on particular topics. For additional titles, see History: Journals.
Asian History:JournalsBack to top
- Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 69, no. 2, December 2009-present.
Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 1-55, 1936-ca. current minus 5 years.
Print: v. 1, 1936-present
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, HILLMAN LIBRARY
- Journal of Asian American Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 1, 1998-present.
- Journal of Asian Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: 2004-present.
Journal of Asian Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 16-60, 1956-2001.
Far Eastern Quarterly (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Vols. 1-15, 1941-1956.
- Modern Asian Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 32, 1998-present.
Modern Asian Studies (Carnegie Mellon Users only)
Full text: v. 1, 1967-v. 32, 1998.
- Pacific Affairs (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 1-68, 1928-ca. 1995/1996.
News Bulletin (Institute of Pacific Relations) (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: May 1926-April 1928.
For additional maps, see History: MapsAsian History:MapsBack to top
- Barnes, Ian and Robert Hudson. The History Atlas of Asia. New York: Macmillan, 1998.
HUNT REF-1 G2201 .S1 B25 1998
- Historical Maps of Asia (Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, General Libraries The University of Texas at Austin)
Below are some pictorial sources for specific areas of Asian History. Some of the general resources listed at History: Pictorial Resources may be useful, too.
Back to top
Below are some primary sources for Asian History. Some of the general resources listed at History: Primary Sources may be useful, too.Asian History:Primary SourcesBack to top
- Empire Online (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Provides full text access to rare primary sources that covers 5 aspects of the colonial experience. It has a thematic layout spanning Cultural Contracts, Literature of the Empire, Religion, Race, Class, and Imperialism. Materials cover Africa, North and South America, the Caribbean, India, Asia, the Middle East, Australasia and the Islands of Oceania. Materials included are: exploration and journals logs to travel logs, diaries, official government papers, missionary papers, maps, photographs, letter books and correspondence, etc.
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers: 19th century (1801-1900) (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search and display the full text of
- Bills - drafts of legislation, to be reviewed through various parliamentary stages. If the Bill passes through these stages, it will become an Act of Parliament.
- House Papers - documents resulting from the work of the House and its Committees.
- Command Papers - Government papers (from Ministers) conveying information or decisions the Government wishes to draw to the attention of the House, presented ‘by Command of Her Majesty’.
- Odo, Franklin. The Columbia Documentary History of the Asian American Experience. New York: Columbia University Press, c2002.
HUNT STACKS-2 E184 .O6 C63 2002
- Slavery, Abolition, and Social Justice, 1490-2007 (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search and browse the full text of original manuscripts, pamphlets, books, paintings, and maps. There is extensive coverage of topics such as the African Coast; the Middle Passage; the varieties of slave experience (urban, domestic, industrial, farm, ranch and plantation); Spiritualism and Religion; Resistance and Revolts; the Underground Railroad; the Abolition Movement; Legislation; Education; the Legacy of Slavery and Slavery Today. The database covers all geographic areas. You can search for relevant documents or browse the ones relating to Asia Pacific.
Below are statistical resources for Asian History. Some of the general resources listed at History: Statistical Resources may be useful, too.Asian History:Statistical Resources
- Eccleston, Bernard, Michael Dawson, and Deborah McNamara, eds. The Asia-Pacific Profile. New York: Routledge, in association with The Open University, c1998.
HUNT REF-1 E184 .O6 C63 2002
- Mitchell, Brian R. International Historical Statistics: Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2000. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
HUNT REF-1 HA4675 .M552 2003
- Gall, Susan B. and Timothy L. Gall, eds. Statistical Record of Asian Americans. Detroit: Gale Research Inc., c1993.
HUNT REF-1 E184 .O6 S73 1993
- Nohlen, Dieter, Florian Grotz, and Christof Hartmann, eds. Elections in Asia and the Pacific: a Data Handbook. 2 vols. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
HUNT REF-1 JQ38 .E44 2001
- Statistical Information on Asia and on Asia-U.S. Affairs (UCLA Asia Institute)
Back to top
April 2011 -- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sc24/History/asianhistory.html
Sue Collins, Senior Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org