Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
Topics in Engineering and Public Policy can vary widely, and so may the databases you might need. The Libraries' Homepage offers links to Other Library Catalogs, and the comprehesive listing of Databases by Name and Databases by Subject. Below are databases that are most relevant for finding journal articles, books, reports and government documents in Engineering and Public Policy topics.
- Community of Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Links to products and services for the information needs of the scientific R&D community. Information on federal research grants, patents and specialized databases such as FedBizOpps can be found here.
- CQ Electronic Library (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Includes links to The CQ Researcher Plus Archive, providing in-depth analysis on the most current and controversial issues of the day; CQ Weekly, giving expert coverage of the U.S. Congress: status of bills, votes and amendments, floor and committee activity, and backroom maneuvering.
- EI Compendex (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1884-present (updated monthly)
Citations and abstracts to journal articles, technical reports, and conference papers and proceedings in all aspects of engineering.
- EIS: Digests of Environmental Impact Statements (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Citations and abstracts from over 1500 scientific journals and thousands of other sources including conference proceedings, reports, monographs, books and government publications.
- Agricultural & Environmental Biotechnology Abstracts, 1993-present.
- ASFA 3: Aquatic Pollution & Environmental Quality, 1990-present.
- Bacteriology Abstracts (Microbiology B), 1982-present
- Ecology Abstracts, 1982-present.
- Environmental Engineering Abstracts, 1990-present.
- Health & Safety Sciences Abstracts, 1981-present.
- Human Population & Natural Resource Management, 1995-present.
- Industrial & Applied Microbiology Abstracts (Microbiology A), 1982-present.
- Pollution Abstracts, 1981-present.
- Risk Abstracts, 1990-present.
- Sustainability Science Abstracts, 2003-present.
- Toxicology Abstracts, 1981-present.
- Water Resources Abstracts, 1967-present.
- FirstSearch (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Access over 60 databases on a wide variety of subjects. Databases are grouped by subject, or can be viewed in an alphabetical list. Some that are particularly relevant for EPP are:
- GPO Monthly Catalog
1976-present (updated monthly)
Citations to documents printed by the U. S. Government.
1965-present (updated monthly)
Citations and abstracts to journals in Medicine.
- PAIS International
1972-present (updated monthly)
Citations to journal articles, books, conference proceedings, government documents, book chapters, and statistical directories in the area of public affairs.
- Gartner Core Research (Carnegie Mellon users only)
A selection of research reports from Gartner dealing with every aspect, product, and service of the technology industry. Includes famous "Magic Quadrant" and "Hype Cycle" reports. -- NB:"Dataquest" and some other well-known Gartner reports are NOT part of the current subscription. TIP: Do a "Browse" search, which defaults to "Research You Own," and your results will be (mostly) just the Gartner reports available at CMU.
- HeinOnline Federal Register Library (Carnegie Mellon users only)
The Federal Register Library contains:
- Federal Register, 1936 to the present
- Federal Register Indexes, 1939-present
- Code of Federal Regulations, 1938-present
- Administrative Procedure Act 1944-1946
- Code of Emergency Federal Regulations 1965
- U. S. Government Manual, 1935-present
- Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, 1965-present
- Homeland Security Digital Library (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Provides access to important U.S. policy documents, presidential directives, and national strategy documents as well as specialized resources such as theses and reports from various universities, organizations and local and state agencies.
- INSPEC (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1969-present (updated weekly)
Citations and abstracts to journals and conference proceedings in physics, electrical engineering and electronics, computing and control, and information technology.
- Knovel (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Online interactive reference books and databases.
- LexisNexis Academic (Carnegie Mellon users only)
ca. 1970-present (updates vary)
Search for general news articles, government and political news articles, legal articles and reviews, federal case law, state legal research, etc.
- LexisNexis Congressional (Carnegie Mellon users only)
ca. 1970-present (updates vary)
U. S. legislative information including full text of bills, laws, regulations, etc.
- National Library for the Environment (National Council for Science and the Environment)
Daily news coverage on environmental issues; access to congressional reports and briefing books, laws and treaties, educational resources; information about jobs & careers, meetings; over 300 links to journals (some full text), virtual topic libraries, reference materials; and much more.
- NTIS (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1964-present (updated monthly)
Government sponsored research reports.
- SciFinder Scholar (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Scientific information from Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS). Search more than 14 million chemical references and more than 223 million substances by research topic, author name, structure and substructure, chemical name or CAS Registry Number, company/name organization, browse the table of contents in journals, and reaction query.
- TRIS Online
Citations to monographic, journal, technical report, and conference literature on transportation research, safety, operations. Some information is full text.
- Web of Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
ca. 1900-present (updated weekly)
Electronic version of the Science Citation Index (1945-present), Social Sciences Citation Index (1956-present), and the Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present). You can search for topics, citation references, author's affiliation, etc. Please remember to log out of the database (upper right hand corner).
- Wharton Research Data Services (Carnegie Mellon users only)
The WRDS database gateway (previously only accessible at Tepper School). Find multiple datasets in finance, economics and banking, including Compustat, CRSP, Dow Jones Averages, and OptionMetrics.
If full text links for journal articles are not provided, click on to see retrieval options. This is only for journal article citations, and may not be available in all databases. Otherwise, use the library catalog and the Find Online Journals list to see if materials are available via the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries. If they aren't, you can use the Interlibrary Loan options to either borrow or obtain a photocopy of the material.
Engineering and Public Policy
Sue Collins, Senior Librarian, email@example.com
Lynn Berard, Principal Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org