Research Help: History
Resources for Specific Classes
Historical Evidence and Interpretation: The 1967 War
Working from home? Use Remote User Access options for databases and resources marked Carnegie Mellon users only.
Ask the History Librarian
Sometimes you may need some information to get more familiar with your topic. Below are some materials that can provide background in the history of the Middle East and the 1967 War. Hunt Library has additional resources, so if you need help finding information, please ask at the Hunt Library reference desk.
Back to top
- Encyclopaedia Judaica. 22 vols. Detroit : Macmillan Reference USA in association with the Keter Pub. House, c2007. .
HUNT REF-1 DS102.8 .E496 2007
- Facts About Israel (State of Israel)
History, culture, people, etc. At the bottom of the "History" section is a timeline.
- Israel- A Country Study (Library of Congress)
- Mideast: A Century of Conflict (NPR)
- Mattar, Philip. Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East & North Africa. 4 vols. Detroit, Mich.: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004.
HUNT REF-1 DS43 .E53 2004
- Middle East Contemporary Survey. New York: Holmes & Meier, c1978-
HUNT REF-1 DS62.8 .M53
1980/81, 1986, 1993, 1996-97, 1999
Analysis of events and trends in the region.
- Patai, Raphael. Encyclopedia of Zionism and Israel. 2 vols. New York: Herzl Press, 1971.
HUNT REF-1 DS149 .E597
- Reich, Bernard. Historical Dictionary of Israel. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1992.
HUNT REF-1 DS126.5 .R38 1992
- Reich, Bernard. Political Dictionary of Israel. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2000.
HUNT REF-1 DS126.5 .R385 2000
- Rolef, Susan Hattis, ed. Political Dictionary of the State of Israel. New York: Macmillan, c1993.
HUNT REF-1 DS126.5 .P62 1993
- Shimoni, Yaacov. Political Dictionary of the Arab world. New York: Macmillan, c1987.
HUNT REF-1 DS37 .S53 1987
- Tucker, Spencer. The Encyclopedia of the Arab-Israeli Conflict: a Political, Social, and Military History. 4 vols. Santa Barbra, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c2008
HUNT REF-1 DS119.7 .E5653 2008
- World Factbook (CIA)
Geography, economy, people, communications, transportation, military, etc., for all countries, including those in the Middle East.
- Ziring, Lawrence. The Middle East Political Dictionary. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-Clio, c1983.
HUNT REF-1 DS61 .Z58 1983
To find biographies on particular people, there are a number of ways to search in Cameo. If you know the name of the person, you can do a Browse with the person's name, last name first, e. g. dayan moshe as a Subject. You can also Browse with the words israel biography as a Subject to see all the subheading available, e. g. ISRAEL BIOGRAPHY GENERALS or ISRAEL BIOGRAPHY PRIME MINISTERS.
Back to top
- Israeli Biography (Esam Shashaa)
- Reich, Bernard. Political Leaders of the Contemporary Middle East and North Africa: a Biographical Dictionary. New York: Greenwood Press, 1990.
HUNT REF-1 DS61.5 .P65 1990
- Shimoni, Yaacov. Biographical Dictionary of the Middle East. New York: Facts on File, c1991.
HUNT REF-1 DS62.4 .B56 1991
- Wigoder, Geoffrey. Dictionary of Jewish Biography. New York: Simon & Schuster, c1991.
HUNT REF-1 DS115 .W49 1991
- Wilson Biographies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
General full text biographical database for all subject areas, countries, and time periods.
- Yahoo: Israel > History > People
To find books on your topic, use the catalogs listed below.
Subject terms to search or browse might be:
- israel palestine middle east jewish-arab relations
- Israel-Arab War 1967
perhaps searched in combination with:
- history foreign relations fiction personal narratives
If you need help finding books on your topic, ask at the Hunt Library reference desk. The reference staff can help you identify appropriate terms and search strategies to use for your topic.
Library catalog of the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries including books, titles of periodicals (journals, magazines, newspapers), videos, etc.
- The Catalog (Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh)
Catalog of Pittsburgh's public libraries. Carnegie Mellon faculty, staff, and students can borrow materials by getting a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh library card at the Main Library lending desk. Library Cards are free to residents of Allegheny County (bring proof of address), as well as out-of-town college students residing in the county (bring your Carnegie Mellon ID card and proof of local address).
- Pittcat (University of Pittsburgh Libraries)
Catalog of the University of Pittsburgh Library System, including all branch campus libraries. Carnegie Mellon faculty, staff, and students can borrow materials by getting a Special Borrower's card at the Hillman Library circulation desk with their Carnegie Mellon ID cards and proof of current Carnegie Mellon affiliation. See University of Pittsburgh Library System Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement for details.
- Worldcat (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1200-present (Updated daily)
Citations to books, titles of journals, manuscripts, and other materials in libraries throughout the United States, as well as some international libraries. You can limit your search to books by selecting Book in the Type option. Each record will let you know which libraries have that item.
If you need books that are not in the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, you can use E-ZBorrow or the interlibrary loan service ILLiad. E-ZBorrow items usually come in a few days, while Interlibrary Loan can take a longer period of time.
Back to top
Diaries and Personal Narratives
Other materials may be found by using the catalogs listed in Books and combining Israel-Arab War 1967 with correspondence, diaries, and personal narratives.
The resources below can help you locate relevant government materials.
Back to top
- Documents (Arab Gateway)
Links to such documents as constitutions, U. N. resolutions, treaties, speeches, etc., in all time periods. Aside from a "general" category, arranged by country.
- Electronic Briefing Books: Middle East and South Asia (National Security Archive, George Washington University)
Online access to critical declassified records on specific issues, including U.S. national security, foreign policy, military history, intelligence policy, and more. Updated frequently, the Electronic Briefing Books represent just a small sample of the documents in the published and unpublished collections of the National Security Archive.
- Foreign Broadcasting Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports
FBIS Daily Reports for April, May, June 1967 are available scanned from the Center for Research Libraries. There are several files for each month. The scanned reports are from microform, often from a user request. Use the find button in Adobe to search the PDF for relevant words, such as Israel, etc.
- Foreign Relations of the United States: Johnson Administration (Office of the Historian, United States Department of State)
- Foreign Relations of the United States 1964-1968, Volume XVIII Arab-Israeli Dispute, 1964-1967
- Foreign Relations 1967-1968, Volume XX, Arab-Israeli Dispute, 1964-68
- Israel Defense Forces
Click on About, then History.
- Israel's Foreign Relations: Selected Documents: Volumes 1-2 1947-1974 (State of Israel)
- Israeli Government Portal
- Jones, Samuel Shepard, ed. Documents on American Foreign Relations. New York, Published for the Council on Foreign Relations by Simon and Schuster, 1940-1973.
Continued by: Council on Foreign Relations. American Foreign Relations. New York, New York University Press, 1976-1979.
Print: 1971-1978 (Shelved with Documents on American Foreign Relations).
- The Knesset: The Israeli Parliament
- LexisNexis Congressional (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search ca. 1789-present.
Search for congressionals materials such as hearings, testimony, bills, committee prints, laws, etc. Full text of materials from 1977 to the present is available on microfiche in the Hunt Library reference room.
- Lorch, Netanel, ed. Major Knesset Debates, 1948-1981. 6 vols. Lanham: University Press of America, c 1993.
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, HILLMAN LIBRARY J693 P2H55 1993
Volume 3 has documents relating to the 1967 War.
- The Middle East 1916 - 2001: A Documentary Record (The Avalon Project at Yale Law School)
Documents arranged chronologically.
- Middle East Historical and Peace Process Source Documents
- Security Council: Resolutions (United Nations)
Below ares some guides to internet resources. If you are searching the web for additional resources, consider all the terms that can be used for the 1967 War: "June War", "Six Day War", "6 Day War", etc.
Journal and Magazine Articles
Your professors often require that you use scholarly articles to support the arguments in your papers. These are found in journals. Rather than browse particular journals, it's easier and faster to use a database that covers the journals relevant to your topic. Below are some databases that would be most relevant for this class, though others can be found at Databases by Name, A-Z, Databases by Subject, and History: Databases and Indexes. Which databases might be best will be determined by your topic, by how much information you need, and what you are and are not finding. Reference librarians can help you with database selection and the best terms to enter for your search, so don't hesitate to Ask a Librarian.
- America: History and Life (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1964-present (updated monthly).
Citations and some abstracts to journal articles, dissertations, and book and media reviews on United States and Canadian history from prehistory to the present. Use the advanced search to search or browse subject terms. Search both America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts (you'll be using the old interface) or in the America: Hisory and Life link above, click on Choose Databases and select both America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts.
- Historical Abstracts (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1967-present (updated monthly).
Contains citations and some abstracts of journal articles, books, and dissertations on world history from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada) Search both America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts (you'll be using the old interface) or in the Historical Abstracts link above, click on Choose Databases and select both America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts.
- JSTOR (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Dates vary by journal title. There is no current, i.e. roughly within 3 years, material. Search and display full text of journal articles in all subject areas. While you can limit to particular areas or journals you want to search, you'll need to be certain you selected all the relevant areas or journal titles.
- Meria Index (The Middle East Review of International Affairs (MERIA)
Browse categories of book, journal, and news articles. There is also a Current Contents version where you can browse new articles by date.
- Project Muse (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Dates vary by journal title. There is no material older than ca. 2000. Search and display full text of journal articles in all subject areas. While you can limit to particular areas or journals you want to search, you'll need to be certain you selected all the relevant areas or journal titles.
- Readers' Guide Retrospective, 1890-1982 (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Online version of the print index Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature containing citations to popular magazine and journal articles in all subject areas, including current events, foreign affairs, fine arts, fashion, education, business, sports, health, nutrition and consumer affairs, from 1890 to 1982.
Back to top
Back to top
- Freeman-Grenville, G. S. P. Historical Atlas of the Middle East. New York : Simon & Schuster, c1993.
HUNT REF-1 G2206 .S1 F7 1993
- Gilbert, Martin. Atlas of the Arab-Israeli Conflict. New York: Routledge, 2005.
HUNT REF-1 911.56 G46R8
6th ed: Hunt Stacks-2 G2236 .S1 G52 1993
- Gilbert, Martin. The Atlas of Jewish history. New York: William Morrow and Company, 1993, c1992.
HUNT STACKS-2 G1030 .G45 1993
- Historical Maps and Atlases (The Jewish Resource Center, Dinar Center for Research in Jewish History, Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- Historical Maps of the Middle East (Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin)
- Imperial History of the Middle East (Maps-of-War)
- Israel — 1967 War Maps (Jewish Virtual Library, A Division of the American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise)
- Israeli - Palestinian ProCon.org
Scroll down and click on Maps on the left hand side.
- Jewish Agency for Israel
Search maps and click on Israel and Zionism.
- Jewish Virtual Library: Maps
- Middle East Maps (Government 46, Dartmouth College)
Scroll down to see Reference on left hand side, click on Maps.
- Middle East Maps (Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin)
- Palestine: Maps (Arab Gateway)
Maps from all time periods.
- Palestine Facts: Maps and Geography
Palestine Maps (Palestine Remembered)
- Palestinian Academic Society for the Study of International Affairs
Click on Palestine Facts & Info, then Maps, then Palestine.
- Question of Palestine: Maps (United Nations)
Maps from 1945 to 2007.
- Reference Maps (CIA Factbook)
Maps of all areas, including the Middle East.
- Research Guide: Web Guide to Maps of the Middle East (MERIA: Middle East Review of International Affairs)
- The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
Click on Maps and Graphics, left side of page.
Back to top
Current news, links to special features, etc. Past articles require payment. Instead, use LexisNexis Academic (Carnegie Mellon users only) to access articles from 1999 to 2002.
- Jerusalem Post
Microfilm: 1967 (6 reels)
- Jerusalem Post (Internet edition)
Current news, links to special features, etc. Past articles require payment. Instead, use LexisNexis Academic (Carnegie Mellon users only) to access articles from 1989 to the present.
- Jerusalem Report.com
Current news, links to special features, etc. Past articles require payment. Instead, use LexisNexis Academic (Carnegie Mellon users only) to access articles from 1990 to the present.
- LexisNexis Academic (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search and display the full text of a variety of Middle East news sources from ca. 1989 to the present by selecting News, then the World News category, then Middle East/Africa sources. Newspapers searched, among others, include:
- Ha'aretz (1999-2002) Jerusalem Post (1989-present)
- Jerusalem Report (1990-current)
- Proquest Historical Newspapers (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Each database provides the full text of the article, as well as full text and other forms of searching. Cick Search Methods to select a way to search. Recommended: Advanced, which offers flexibility in where you want your search terms to appear, as well as ways to limit your search to particular dates or date ranges.
- New York Times (1851-2003) or the Wall Street Journal (1896-1986) or
- both the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
- Six Day War: 36th Anniversary Special (Jerusalem Post)
- Times Digital Archive (1785-1985) (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search and display the full text of the Times (London).
Reserve Materials are items required for class reading. To give everyone a chance to use them, they are usually kept in a special place in the library, and have a short checkout time. Some reserve material is available electronically, so you can access and print the material from anywhere.
To find reserve materials for your class, go to Cameo and click on the Course Reserves button. Type in either the Instructor's Name, Course Number, or Course Name and then click on the corresponding button. For example, type eisenberg and click on the Instructor button. You will get a list of the reserve materials for that instructor and/or class. Select the item you want to see by clicking on the View button. Location and circulation information will be given, as well as a link for Electronic Access, if available.
Back to top
- Broadcast to the Nation by Prime Minister Eshkol (June 5, 1967) (Jewish Virtual Library)
- President Johnson: “A Just and Dignified Peace . . . Is Possible” (Jewish Virtual Library)
- Statement by President Nasser to Arab Trade Unionists (May 26, 1967) (Jewish Virtual Library)
Back to top
- Central Bureau of Statistics (State Of Israel)
- Armed Conflict Events Data: Six Day War (OnWar.com)
Combat forces, population, losses.
- Demography of Palestine & Israel, the West Bank & Gaza (Jewish Virtual Library, A Division of the American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise)
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Trade Yearbook. Annuaire du Commerce.Anuario de Comercio. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Mitchell, Brian R. International Historical Statistics: Africa, Asia & Oceania, 1750-2005. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
HUNT REF-1 HA4675 .M552 2007
- Number of Palestinians in Israel for Selected Years, End Year (Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics)
- Statistical Abstract of Israel. [Jerusalem]: Central Bureau of Statistics.
Print: 1950/51-1952/53,1955/56- 1956/1957,1959/60-1974, 1977-1978,1982
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH, HILLMAN LIBRARY General Collection HA1931 A35
Print: 1956, 1965, 1970, 1975
CARNEGIE LIBRARY OF PITTSBURGH MAIN SOCIAL SCIENCES CLOSED STACKS r 315.69 I29
- United Nations. Statistical Division. Demographic Yearbook. Annuaire Démographique. New York [etc.]: Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs, Statistical Office, United Nations.
Print: 1951, 1953, 1955-1982, 1984-1992, 1994-present.
Latest 2 years in Hunt Reference under call number HA17 .D45; earlier on the 3rd floor shelved by title Demographic Yearbook.
- United Nations. Statistical Division. Demographic Yearbook. Historical Supplement[computer file] = Annuaire Démographique. Supplément Hstorique. New York: UnitedNations Publications, c2000- .
HUNT REF-1 312.058 U582 1948-1997 or Hunt Ref-1 HA17 .D452 1948-1997
CD-ROM disc is available at the Hunt Library Reference Desk.
- United Nations. Statistical Office. Monthly Bulletin of Statistics. [Lake Success, N.Y.: The Office, 1947- ].
Print: v. 1, 1947-present.
- United Nations. Statistical Office. Statistical Yearbook. Annuaire Statistique. New York [etc.]: United Nations.
Print: 1948-1961, 1963, 1969-1972, 1976-1983/84, 1990/91, 1993-present.
Latest 2 years in Hunt Ref-1 HA12.5 .U63; earlier with journals on 3rd floor shelved under Statistical Yearbook.
- United States. Bureau of the Census. Statistical Abstract of the United States. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census
HUNT REF-1 HA202
Most volumes contain a section with international statistics, though they usually appear two years behind, e. g. 1967 statistics may appear in the 1969 edition.
Back to top
Resources for Specific History Classes
Research Help: History
Carnegie Mellon University Libraries