Homework 1: due on Jan 27
What are the three important characteristics of a periodic signal?
What is the relationship between a signal's spectrum and its bandwidth?
The frequency of a digital signal is 2000 Hz. What is its information capacity in bits per second?
- An agency needs to connect several departmental LANs. The
interconnection will be made using a LAN to which departmental LANs
are connected. The interconnection LAN must operate at 100Mbps. The
medium will be run through elevator shafts and a machine room, so
signal distortion is a concern. What medium would you recommend?
Justify your answer.
- Suppose a file of 10,000 characters is to be sent over a line at
- calculate the overhead in bits and time in using asynchronous
communication. Assume 1 start and stop bit, and 8 bits to send the
character itself for each character.
- calculate the overhead in bits and time using synchronous
communication. Assume that the data are sent in frames. Each frame
consists of 1000 characters=8000 bits, and an overhead of 48 bits per
- what would the answers to parts a and b be for a file of 100,000
- what would the answers to parts a and b be for the original file of
10,000 characters except at a data rate of 9600bps?