Ph.D. Candidate, CMU ECE
Email: laixis AT andrew DOT cmu DOT edu
Email: laixis AT andrew DOT cmu DOT edu
Hello, I'm a fifth-year Ph.D. student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). I am fortunate to be advised by Prof. Yuejie Chi. Before joining CMU, I received my bachelor's degree from Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University in July 2018.
[2022/10/14] Selected as Rising Stars in Data Science by U Chicago, 2022.
[2022/06/13-12/16] Research Intern/Student researcher in Google Brain.
[2021/09/28] One paper accepted as NeurIPS Spotlight.
- Provable sample-efficient (robust) reinforcement learning: online RL, offline RL(I and II), robust RL, and curriculum RL.
- (Nonconvex) optimization for signal processing: Multi-channel blind deconvolution, image stitching.
- Real-world data science solutions: indoor localization, strain measurement, hand gesture recognition.
Selected Preprints & Publications
Distributionally Robust Model-Based Offline Reinforcement Learning with Near-Optimal Sample Complexity
Laixi Shi and Yuejie Chi
Curriculum Reinforcement Learning using Optimal Transport via Gradual Domain Adaptation
Peide Huang, Mengdi Xu, Jiacheng Zhu, Laixi Shi, Fei Fang, Ding Zhao
Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2022
Breaking the Sample Complexity Barrier to Regret-Optimal Model-Free Reinforcement Learning
Gen Li, Laixi Shi, Yuxin Chen, Yuejie Chi
Information and Inference: A Journal of the IMA. A short version accepted as [NeurIPS Spotlight] Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2021
Manifold Gradient Descent Solves Multi-channel Sparse Blind Deconvolution Provably and Efficiently
Laixi Shi, Yuejie Chi
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 4784-4811, 2021. A short conference version has been accepted by International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal ProcessingInternational Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2020.
Latent Goal Allocation for Multi-Agent Goal-Conditioned Self-Supervised Imitation Learning
Laixi Shi*, Peide Huang*, Rui Chen*
NeurIPS Workshop on Bayesian Deep Learning, 2021 ( * = equal contribution)
Nov 1, 2016. Advisor: Huimin Ma, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
We designed a real-time virtual reality cubic interaction metaphor, arranged 5 LED panels into a cube to create a 3D object illusion, utilizing binocular vision to track user’s eyes and rendering the perspective of each screen to fit the user’s eyes positions.
Jul 18, 2016. Advisor: Yuan Shen, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
We developed a multiple robot collaborative localization and navigation system using a self-made mobile robot platform. The robots in our system are equipped with a wireless distributed localization system based on UWB(Ultra Wide Band), which enables them automatically to form a pre-defined formation with mutual localization information. (Image from my collaborator Wenhao Ding)
Jun 13, 2015, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
We built a robot to play air-hockey game with human, which is a popular table game. This robot consists of a bird-view camera (capturing the images of moving ball) and an executive arm (a striking device with two degrees of freedom). (Image from my collaborator Wenhao Ding)
Honors / Awards / Fellowships
- UT Austin Rising Stars in Computational and Data Sciences (2023)
- UChicago Rising Stars in Data Science (2022)
- NeurIPS 2022 Top Reviewer (2022)
- Leo Finzi Memorial Fellowship (2022)
- Wei Shen and Xuehong Zhang Presidential Fellowship (2022)
- Liang Ji-Dian Graduate Fellowship (2021)
- Presidential Fellowship (2018)
- Carnegie Institute of Technology Dean’s Fellowship (2018)
- Excellent Honors Graduate granted by Tsinghua University (2018)
- The First Prize in 35th Tsinghua University Academic Challenge Cup (2017)
- Technology Innovation Excellence Award granted by Tsinghua University (2015-2017)
- Enterprise Sponsored Scholarship granted by Tsinghua University (2017)
- National Scholarship granted by the government of China (2016)
- Qualcomm Scholarship granted by Tsinghua University (2016)
- Outstanding Project of Undergraduate Research Competition of Tsinghua University (2016)
- The First Prize in National Physics Contest for College Student (2015)
- The Silver Medal of Chinese Physics Olympiad (2014)
- IAS WAM Mathematics in Machine Learning Travel Support (2022)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Student Travel Grants for ICASSP (2020)
- Computing Research Association Grad Cohort for Women Travel Support (2020)
- The ACM International Workshop on Device-Free Human Sensing Travel Grant (2019)
- Women in Machine Learning Scholarship (2019)
- Women in Data Science and Mathematics Travel Support (2019)