Subject: RE: Interview 1 Report for review
From: "Elizabeth Casman" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mandy B Holbrook'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Julie Downs'" <[email-masked]>, "'Wändi Bruine de Bruin'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:28:02 -0400

I’ve added another node, “Knowledge,” for knowledge, experience, or lack
thereof.

As for the preference statement “"I wouldn't want it ever" it really doesn’t
belong in an expert model. Can you code it as irrelevant?

 

Elizabeth Casman

Associate Research Professor

Carnegie Mellon University

Department of Engineering & Public Policy

Baker Hall 129

Pittsburgh, PA 15213

receptionist: (412) 268-2670

direct line:    (412) 268-3756

fax:              (412) 268-3757

  _____  

From: Mandy B Holbrook [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Elizabeth Casman; Julie Downs; Wändi Bruine de Bruin
Subject: Re: Interview 1 Report for review

Hi all,
 
Dianne had asked me how I might code the sentences I mentioned last week.
 
Here are a few comments.  

"I wouldn't want it ever" 
MBH:  Should there be a node about the "perceptions of flu"?...perhaps
"perceived risks of the flu"...something similar?  Is there a node covering
this?  I could see someone saying "I wouldn't want it ever".  Why? "Because
I could die"...which would link to the death node...but where would it start
from?
 
"I really didn't really know what to do because I've never had the
flu."
MBH: I think this could be comprehension (but a lack of)  Could possibly
also receive an illness code, with a "not" subcode?  Not sure if subcodes
are being used or not.
 
"I've had every other symptoms like chicken pox, etc."
MBH:  I could see people comparing the flu symptoms to other conditions...we
might want to consider how to handle those?  If it comes up a lot, that
might be interesting to know that people see the flu symptoms the same as
some other condition.  We could give some of these sentences '99' codes...as
to say, there is something interesting here, but it doesn't quite fit into
the model...then those could be revisited if we wanted.

Thanks,
Mandy

Dianne Palladino wrote: 

Hi Mandy,
 
To help with the norming process, I'd be curious to see how you would code
the sentences you mentioned below...it'd be helpful, since you were
interviewing and obviously have a unique perspective on the answers.  Would
you be willing to do that?  
 
Thanks!
Dianne

Does the LinkNode column include more than one sentence...so the sentences
directly after?
 
As there seems to be sentences with interesting information that don't 
have codes, for example, Line 10/1/a, "I wouldn't want it ever", Line 
16/1/a "I really didn't really know what to do because I've never had the
flu.", Line 17/1/a "I've had every other symptom like chicken pox, etc."
 
Mandy
 
Dianne Palladino wrote:

Hello Liz,
 
Attached, please find a pdf of a very rough report I put together to
show you how I coded interview 1.  I have also included our definitions
document for your convenience so you can look up the codes if you are
not yet familiar with them (I'm certainly not ;)).  The report
essentially lists each of the lines of verbiage in order of their
occurrence (in bold) with the way they were coded (if applicable) (also
in bold).  \
 
If I had any questions/confusions, etc. I listed them in one of the
comments fields for each item.  There were a few general questions that
I had throughout the coding process for this one that maybe you can
answer right away:
 
1.  Lysol spray was mentioned quite a bit as a way to prevent
transmission - I know you wanted prophylaxis to mainly be reserved for
antvirals, so I didn't code it as such - I wasn't sure how to code it
otherwise - fomite disinfection perhaps?  The same goes for wearing
gloves...how would you code that in our model? 2.  Defensive mask
wearing is only on the model in the context of it's ineffectiveness.
The woman in this interview mentioned wearing a mask for defense quite
a bit - how would you suggest I code this? 3.  She mentioned "worrying"
as a way to catch the flu - do we want to capture this somehow?
Sheldon Cohen may argue it increases susceptibility to infection :), so
I wasn't sure if there is someplace on the model where this would fit
in nicely, or would you like me to ignore it?
 
Please review how I coded things - I approached the sentences
peripheral to the main answers the same as the main answers in order to
keep them together, but if you only want me to code specific individual
sentences, I can change that and code that way accordingly in the
future.
 
I think that's it -  please let me know what you think!  The database
is ready to go and I can go full force into it as soon as I get the
rest of the data and we are in agreement on the coding.
 
Thanks! Dianne
 
Dianne K. Palladino Research Associate Social and Decision Sciences 
Carnegie Mellon University, BP 208G Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (412) 268-6671

 

 
 
Dianne K. Palladino
Research Associate
Social and Decision Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University, BP 208G
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-6671