Subject: RE: Interview 1 Report for review
From: "Elizabeth Casman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:30:15 -0400

Hi Dianne,

That's impressive! Is it too late to add some nodes to the expert model? See
attachment. I marked the changes in yellow.  

To reply to your comments:

There is some info in the fomite disinfection node about Lysol now taken
from their website.
Also there's a new Glove node. 
I removed the "ineffective" from Defensive Mask Wearing.
I added superstitious beliefs, like worrying about something makes it
happen. 

Line 1665 mentions flu shots. Does this deserve a vaccination code?
Line 1678 inspired the new node: stress etc. (click on yellow nodes for
definitions)
Line 1710 inspired the new node: nonprofessional advice
Line 1836 inspired the vulnerable population node ("children are always
sick")
Line 1845 subject mentioned hugging so I added it to kissing.

Thanks for your diligent work.
Liz

Elizabeth Casman
Associate Research Professor
Carnegie Mellon University
Department of Engineering & Public Policy
Baker Hall 129
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
receptionist: (412) 268-2670
direct line:    (412) 268-3756
fax:              (412) 268-3757

-----Original Message-----
From: Dianne Palladino [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 1:53 PM
To: Elizabeth Casman
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Interview 1 Report for review

Hello Liz,

Attached, please find a pdf of a very rough report I put together to show
you how I coded interview 1.  I have also included our definitions document
for your convenience so you can look up the codes if you are not yet
familiar with them (I'm certainly not ;)).  The report essentially lists
each of the lines of verbiage in order of their occurrence (in bold) with
the way they were coded (if applicable) (also in bold).  \

If I had any questions/confusions, etc. I listed them in one of the comments
fields for each item.  There were a few general questions that I had
throughout the coding process for this one that maybe you can answer right
away:

1.  Lysol spray was mentioned quite a bit as a way to prevent transmission -
I know you wanted prophylaxis to mainly be reserved for antvirals, so I
didn't code it as such - I wasn't sure how to code it otherwise - fomite
disinfection perhaps?  The same goes for wearing gloves...how would you code
that in our model?
2.  Defensive mask wearing is only on the model in the context of it's
ineffectiveness.  The woman in this interview mentioned wearing a mask for
defense quite a bit - how would you suggest I code this?
3.  She mentioned "worrying" as a way to catch the flu - do we want to
capture this somehow?  Sheldon Cohen may argue it increases susceptibility
to infection :), so I wasn't sure if there is someplace on the model where
this would fit in nicely, or would you like me to ignore it?

Please review how I coded things - I approached the sentences peripheral to
the main answers the same as the main answers in order to keep them
together, but if you only want me to code specific individual sentences, I
can change that and code that way accordingly in the future.

I think that's it -  please let me know what you think!  The database is
ready to go and I can go full force into it as soon as I get the rest of the
data and we are in agreement on the coding.  

Thanks!
Dianne

Dianne K. Palladino
Research Associate
Social and Decision Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University, BP 208G
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-6671