Welcome to my home page. I am a professor in the Department of Philosophy at Carnegie Mellon University, and (by courtesy) in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. I am associated with Carnegie Mellon's interdisciplinary program in Pure and Applied Logic. You can read my CV.
Mathematical logic, proof theory, philosophy of mathematics, formal verification, automated reasoning, history of mathematics.
Office: Baker Hall 135E
Department of Philosophy
Baker Hall 161
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
An essay I have written, "Varieties of mathematical understanding," will appear in the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society: doi.
Good news from some of my recent and current students:
- Robert Y. Lewis will be joining the Department of Computer Science at Brown University in the fall.
- Floris van Doorn will be starting a postdoctoral position in Paris in the fall.
- Mario Carneiro and Seul Baek (with Marijn Heule) have had a paper accepted to TACAS.
- Mario's work on Metamath Zero is coming along (see also his YouTube tutorial).
- Seul's work on TESC, a proof format for first-order theorem provers, is coming along.
- Paula Neeley gave a nice talk on her formalization of dynamic epistemic logic at Lean Together 2021.
An old paper of mine, Forcing in proof theory, has been selected as one of the winners of the Bulletin of Symbolic Logic's 25th Anniversary Prize.
I have written a draft of a chapter on logic and foundations for the Handbook of Proof Assistants and their Applications in Mathematics and Computer Science.
Floris van Doorn and I have written a paper on a problem in decentralized control theory: arXiv.
Kevin Buzzard, Robert Lewis, Patrick Massot, and I have started working on a tutorial, Mathematics in Lean. You can learn about some of the interesting things going on with Lean and mathlib on the Lean community web pages.
Yacin Hamami and Rebecca Morris have written a nice survey on the Philosophy of Mathematical Practice.
The Open Logic Project offers high-quality, free, open source logic textbooks.
I am on the editorial boards of the Journal of Automated Reasoning and Logical Methods in Computer Science.