As one of the longest continuously active chapter in Alpha
Phi Omega, Kappa is rich in history and tradition. Once upon
In 1925 or so, Carnegie Tech student Carl J. Long became
interested in service, because his father had organized a
group of boys called Rangers which was similar to Boy Scouts.
Along with about eight of his friends, he formed the groups
that was to become Kappa Chapter and began doing service projects.
They took over room next to Kresge Theater and set up coat
checks in Fine Arts. Dean Tarbell, Dean of Men (who later
became an advisor), however, was skeptical of a service fraternity.
Another obstacle was the Interfraternity Council, which was
very influential at the time, and did not want another fraternity.
Fortunately, Carl and friends were not to be defeated. Since
the president of IFC was quarterback of the Carnegie Tech
football team, he was persuaded by Beta Chapter (U. of Pitt
composed was mainly of football players!) to recognize the
group. On April 29, 1929, Kappa finally received its charter.
One of the first service projects was helping with registration.
Freshman registered at Skibo, which was an old airplane hangar
located where Hunt Library presently stands. When Brothers
helped set up registration tables, they sneaked in a few extra
tables at the end of the line. At the time, freshmen were
required to wear black ties, socks, beanies, and numerous
other items singling them out as freshmen. A Phi O kindly
provided these essentials, while making a fabulous profit.
They also made a killing buying ticket booklets for campus
events from band members and athletes and selling them to
Activities in the 1930's also focussed on assisting freshman:
in securing rooms, in registration, and in becoming acquainted
with classmates and faculty. They also provided guides to
visitors, and assisted at information booths on Exhibition
Nights. They were ushers at charitable productions given by
campus organizations; and frequently sponsored open lectures
on travel and nature study.
During the World War II there wer e not many college students,
and hundreds of A Phi O chapters folded through lack of participants.
At Kappa, however, advisor Kent D. Shaffer play ed a vital
role in keeping up interest in the chapter. The inside cover
of the C-book and an annual scholarship are dedicated to his
memory. The chapter held smokers to introduce A Phi O and
its members to Scouting and freshman. Beta and Kappa chapters
jointly sponsored a Christmas Party for children of broken
homes who were wards of juvenile court, as well as work sessions
at Camp Hubbard.
In 1972 our chapter (unofficially) went co-ed, initiating
women using only their initials or mascu line versions of
their first name (So Gertrude Schnitzel would be G. Schnitzel
or George Schnitzel.) S. Robinson was our first female Brother
to be registered with the National Office.
In the late 70's and early 80's, the chapter struggled. President
Jordan Nash was largely responsible for the chapter's growth
in membership and in service. Drafted into the chapter when
it was mostly composed of seniors, he took a leadership role
early, forming a link between the outgoing seniors and the
Today, we Kappas look back proudly on our unique history
as we move beyond our 70th year of Leadership, Friendship
by Judy Haraburda, Historian, Spring 1988
revised by Connie Wai, Historian, Fall 1990 &
Meg Veily, Membership VP, Fall 1990