Welcome To Highland Park
Welcome To Highland Park
by Taylor Durham
This website is designed to give you a guided tour of all attractions around Highland Park. We hope you enjoy the tour.
History of Highland Park
18th Century: In 1778, a man named Alexander Negley and his family settled in th areas we now know as Highland Park and East Liberty. The Negley's called the land Fertile Bottom.
|19th Century: In 1837, The Negley's land holdings were subdivided by the county surveyor Robert Hiland and he gave his own name to Hiland Avenue, now called and spelled "Highland Avenue." In 1886, The City of Pittsburgh annexed the areas around and including the neighborhoods we now know as Highland Park and East Liberty. In 1879, the reservoir at the top of Hiland Avenue (now known as Highland Park Reservoir and Highland Avenue) began operation. Picture #1 In 1890, the spelling of "Hiland" Avenue was changed to "Highland." In 1893, Highland Park opened as a city park thanks primarily to Edward Bigelow, the Director of Public Works. In 1894, Lake Carneige was completed. Work began in 1892 to convert an unused plot of land into a small recreational lake to be used for boating, swimming, fishing, and winter ice-skating. In1895, the statues at the entrance to Highland Park on North Highland Avenue were erected. They were scuplted by Giuseppi Moretti.|
|20th Century: In 1900, the statues at the Stanton Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. These statues were also scuplted by Giuseppi Moretti. In 1902, the former Highland Park bridge was built. This bridge spanned the Allegheny River from Bulter Street across Six Mile Island to 19th Street in Sharpsburg. The Parkview Flats apartments on North Saint Clair at Callowhill Street was built. In 1906, the first service at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Hampton Street was Easter Sunday. The prominent Philadelphia designed the church. St. Andrews was originally located on Hand Street in Downtown Pittsburgh. In 1932, part of Lake Carneige was turned into a swimming pool and a large wading pool. This pool is now known as Highland Park Pool. In 1938 the present-day Highland Park bridge was built. It connected Bulter Street with Freeport Road in Sharpsburg. The ramps to PA 28 opened in 1963. In 1989 the Pittsburgh History & Landmark Foundation designated Highland Park as a landmark. In 1992, the community raised about $120,000 to bulid the Super Playground in the park. 1n 1994, The Reservoir of jazz August concert series begins. in 1995, the park gate piers and statues were restored. In 1998, the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority agreed to bulid a micro-flitration plant than cover the reservoir to comply with new state laws. In 1999, Enrico's Tazza D'Oro cafe and expresso bar opened on the North Highland Avenue.|
|21st Century: In 2000 the Highland Park website began operation. In 2001 Sitar of Pittsburgh Indian restaurant opened on Bryant Street. In 2002 the piers and statues at the Highland Park and Stanton Avenue entrances were designated as City Historic Objects. In 2003 Leonard Bodack, Jr. won the special election to fill remainder of Jim Ferlo's term as City Council representative for District 7. Highland Park's Patrick Dowd won a seat on the School Board in the primary elections against Leonard Bodack, Jr. Bodack retained his seat on City Council.|
|The Super Playground was built in 1992. The community raised over $120,000 dollars for its construction. The Playground wa built to be a castle for little children. it features a jungle gym, a maze inside the castle, swingsets, 5 slides, monkeybars, and a sets of tables on each side of the playground. There is also a barbecue pit on the far end. There are steps on the bottom of the Super Playground that lead straight to the Pittsbugh Zoo. They're stone steps and they are very unstable and slippery when wet.|
|Behind the Super Playground near the barbecue pit is a set of beautiful scuplted steps that lead to the Parkview Flats Apts. Across the street is a local basketball and tennis court. There is a 71A bus stop in front of the apts. and a 500 bus stop on the corner of the court.|
|Hendrix House of Hair is run by a family friend. It is located on Jackson Street and N. Beatty Street. He has student barbers working with him and he also has a styling salon in the back. He sells NBA and NFL jerseys (they're real), shoes (forces), purses, and hair care products. To make an appointment call (412)-362-4947.|