Although this handout was prepared locally, this project was designed by by Kohei Honda and published among the support materials for the Coulouris, et al, textbook. Prof. Honda is a member of the Department of Computer Science, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London.
An electronic version of the handout distributed in class: (doc)/ (pdf)/ (ps)
Some Parts and Pieces
The following Java code was prepared by Prof. Honda for the original version of this lab. Feel free to review it for informational purposes only, or to build upon the provided pieces. Although you are welcome to emulate the model he used, this is not required.
Please do keep in mind that these are really rudimentary pieces, not complete and thorough final products. We do expect you, in your final solution, to use excellent organization and style, to handle the special cases, &c.
- Registry and remote object references
- SimpleRegistry.java The simple registry
- testRebind.java for using the registry
- testLookup.java for using the registry
- RemoteObjectRef.java gives a definition of a class for representing remote object references
- Communications Module and Remote Object Reference Table
- yourRMI.java The framework for a communications module
- RORtbl.java The framework for a remote object reference lookup table
- One test program: A zip code server and client
- ZipCodeServer.java the interface for the server of zip codes (post codes).
- ZipCodeServerImpl.java the implementation of the interface of the zip code server.
- ZipCodeList.java A class used by ZipCodeServer
- ZipCodeClient.java a client program for testing your program.
- Example data for the zip code client.
- A second test program: A zip code server and client that return remote references
- ZipCodeRList.java the interface for the server
- ZipCodeRListImpl.java the implementation of the interface of the server
- ZipCodeRListClient.java a client program for ZipCodeRList for testing your program.
- A third test program: A name server
Useful Resources on the Web (From Sun Microsystems, Inc.)