1. USERS WITH MULTIPLE CMU ACCOUNTS MAY NOT SEE EMAIL SENT
Some students with multiple CMU accounts (e.g., @ece.cmu.edu and @andrew.cmu.edu) have not been receiving email sent through the Blackboard system.
Blackboard automatically obtains users' email addresses from the Carnegie Mellon directory, and uses these addresses when sending email. In some cases, the email address displayed by the directory is not a user's primary email address, and may be an account that is used infrequently (or not at all). The result would be email delivery to an account where it may not be seen by the student. This affects Blackboard as well as any other use of the Carnegie Mellon directory to obtain email addresses.
2. HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:
If you send email to your students through the Blackboard system, it is important to ask your students to check their Carnegie Mellon directory listing to verify that the email address displayed is the address the student would like to be used by the directory.
All users can check their listing by browsing to: <http://www.cmu.edu/directory/> and entering their name. If the student needs to make a change to the email address displayed, they can do so by following these simple steps:
1. Browse to: <http://www.cmu.edu/myandrew/>
2. Log in
3. Under the "Directory" heading, select "Preferred Info."
All the data fields will be empty. Enter the email address you would like to be used by the directory in the "Email Address" field and click "Submit".
4. Verify that the e-mail address you just submitted has been changed in the directory by navigating to <http://www.cmu.edu/directory> and entering your name. Changes are displayed in the online directory immediately.
NOTE: The email address entered here will be picked up and be used by Blackboard starting the next day.