Carnegie Mellon University Libraries
History of Technology and Science
Working from home or using wireless? Use the Off-Campus/Wireless Access link.
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Below are archives, libraries, and museums for the history of technology and science. For additional resources, see History: Archives, Libraries, and Museums. To search for archival materials, use the resources at History: Archival Resources.
Back to top
- The Caltech Institute Archives (California Institute of Technology)
- Hagley Museum and Library
- Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village
- Huntington Library
In November 2006, The Huntington acquired an extraordinary addition to its library collections: the gift of the entire Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Burndy Library, composed of some 67,000 rare books and reference volumes, as well as a collection of scientific instruments. Combined with the Huntington’s holdings, the collection becomes one of the most extensive in the history of science and technology in the world.
- Museum of the History of Science
Online exhibits, image library, collections database, library and catalog, etc.
- National Archive for the History of Computing
- Smithsonian Institution
Associations, Organizations, and Institutes
For additional listings, see History: Associations, Organizations, and Institutes.
Back to top
- Association for History and Computing (AHC)
Promotes and develops interest in the use of computers in all types of historical study at every level. Conferences, searchable bibliography, publications, links to other sites, etc.
- British Society for the History of Science
Publications, prizes, meetings, links to other history of science sites, etc.
- Center for History of Physics (American Institute of Physics)
Newsletter, publications, finding aids, exhibits, etc.
- Charles Babbage Institute (University of Minnesota)
Research center dedicated to promoting the study and preservation of the history of computing and information processing. Site includes abstracts of oral histories and inventories of collections available at the Institute.
- History of Science Society
Links to research, publications, online membership directory, etc.
- Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Library catalog, botanical databases, links to other botanical sites, etc.
- ICOHTEC, International Committee for the History of Technology
News, newsletter, etc.
- IEEE History Center
Preserves, researches, and promotes the history of electrical engineering and computing accomplishments.
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
Formed in March 2006 by the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) and the Institution of Incorporated Engineers (IIE);
- The IET Archives
A unique collection of material promoting and preserving the history of science, engineering and technology. Includes biographies, featured articles, online exhibitions, research guides, information about the IET's history.
- Institute for Science and Interdisciplinary Studies (ISIS)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
Independent U.S. government agency which supports research and education projects in science and engineering. Site includes news, grants and awards, links to projects, etc.
Non-partisan and non-profit public policy research institution, researching areas in many disciplines including technology and applied sciences. Site includes Rand publications, some with full text, and links to the different centers, programs and institutes within the organization.
- SHOT: Society for the History of Technology
Interdisciplinary organization, concerned with the history of technological devices and processes, as well as the relations of technology to science, politics, social change, the arts and humanities, and economics.
BackgroundSometimes you may need some information to get more familiar with your topic. Below are some materials that can provide background on topics in the history of technology and science. Hunt Library has additional resources, so if you need help finding information, please ask at the Hunt Library reference desk.
Back to top
- Atkins, Stephen E. Historical Encyclopedia of Atomic Energy. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2000.
HUNT REF-1 QC772 .A87 2000
- Berger, Michael L. The Automobile in American History and Culture: a Reference Guide. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2001.
HUNT REF-1 TL23 .B43 2001
- Bud, Robert and Deborah Jean Warner, eds. Instruments of Science: An Historical Encyclopedia. New York: Science Museum, London, and National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, in Association with Garland Pub., 1998.
HUNT REF-1 Q184.5 .I57 1998
- Burt, Christopher C. Extreme Weather: a Guide & Record Book. New York: W.W. Norton, c2007.
HUNT REF-1 QC983 .B78 2007
- Cole, David John, Eve Browning, and Fred E.H. Schroeder. Encyclopedia of Modern Everyday Inventions. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2003.
HUNT REF-1 T20 .C56 2003
- Day, Lance and Ian McNeil, eds. Biographical Dictionary of the History of Technology. New York: Routledge, 1996.
HUNT REF-1 T39 .B49 1996
- Engines of Our Ingenuity (John H. Lienhard)
Over 1300 episodes from the NPR series written and hosted by John Lienhard and KUHF-FM, Houston. The brief program "uses the record of history to reveal the way art, technology, and ideas have shaped us." Programs have included such topics as the invention of th bar code, The Jacquard loom and the invention of the computer, the French horn, etc. The episodes can be searched by keyword, or browsed by episode number.
- Engs, Ruth C. The Eugenics Movement: an Encyclopedia. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2005.
HUNT REF-1 HQ751 .E64 2005
- Ferngren, Gary B., ed. The History of Science and Religion in the Western Tradition: An Encyclopedia. New York: Garland Pub., 2000.
HUNT REF-1 BL245 .H57 2000
- Gardner, Robert. From Talking Drums to the Internet: An Encyclopedia of Communications Technology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c1997. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- Gatland, Kenneth. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Space Technology: A Comprehensive History of Space Exploration. New York: Harmony Books, c1981.
ENGR&SCI REFERENCE TL788 .I44 1981
- Gross, Ernie. Advances and Innovations in American Daily Life, 1600s-1930s. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, c2002.
HUNT REF-1 E161 .G76 2002
- Heilbron, J. L. The Oxford Companion to the History of Modern Science. [New York]: Oxford University Press, 2003. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- Hempstead, Colin. Encyclopedia of 20th-century Technology. 2 vols. New York: Routledge, c2005.
HUNT REF-1 T9 .E462 2005
- Kovalchick, Ann and Kara Dawson, eds. Education and Technology: an Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2004. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- McNeil, Ian, ed. An Encyclopaedia of the History of Technology. New York: Routledge, 1990.
ENGR&SCI REFERENCE T15 .E53 1989
- Moschovitis, Christos J. P., et al. History of the Internet: A Chronology, 1843 to the Present. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c1999.
HUNT REF-1 TK5105 .875.I57 H58 1999
- Newton, David E. Encyclopedia of Cryptology. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c1997. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- Newton, David E. Social Issues in Science and Technology: An Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c1999.
HUNT REF-1 Q175.5 .N49 1999
- Poole, Hilary W., ed. The Internet: a Historical Encyclopedia. 3 vols. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c2005.
HUNT REF-1 TK5105 .875.I57 I5372 2005
ENGR&SCI TK5105 .875.I57 I5372 2005
v. 1. Biographies; v. 2. Issues; v. 3. Chronology
- Rothenberg, Marc, ed. The History of Science in the United States: an Encyclopedia. New York: Garland Pub., 2001.
HUNT REF-1 Q127 .U6 H57 2001
- Schlager, Neil, ed. When Technology Fails: Significant Technological Disasters, Accidents, and Failures of the Twentieth Century. Detroit: Gale Research, c1994.
HUNT REF-1 TA169.5 .W44 1994
ENGR&SCI REFERENCE TA169.5 .W44 1994
- Selin, Helaine, ed. Encyclopaedia of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in Non-Western Cultures. Boston: Kluwer Academic, c1997.
HUNT REF-1 Q124.8 .E53 1997
- Trinder, Barrie, ed. The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Industrial Archaeology. Cambridge, Mass.: Blackwell, 1992.
HUNT REF-1 T37 .B55 1992
- Volti, Rudi. The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Science, Technology, and Society. 4 vols. New York: Facts on File, c1999.
HUNT REF-1 Q121 .V65 1999
- World of Invention. Detroit: Gale Research Inc., c1994.
HUNT REF-1 T15 .W82
- Webb, Pauline and Mark Suggitt. Gadgets and Necessities: An Encyclopedia of Household Innovations. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2000. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
See also History: Biographical Resources.
Back to top
- Day, Lance and Ian McNeil. Biographical Dictionary of the History of Technology. New York: Routledge, 1996.
HUNT REF-1 T39 .B49 1996
- 4000 Years of Women in Science (University of Pennsylvania Museum, Philadelphia)
Biographies, photographs, etc.
- Zierdt-Warshaw, Linda, Alan Winkler, and Leonard Bernstein. American Women in Technology: An Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, c2000.
HUNT REF-1 T36 .Z54 2000
Databases and Indexes
Below are some databases and print indexes that you can use to find books and articles on history of science and technology topics. For a more complete listing of those relevant to History, see History: Databases and Indexes, or for the Sciences, see the categories listed at Databases by Subject. If you need help in selecting or using a database or index for your research, please contact the Hunt Library reference desk.
Back to top
- Applied Science and Business Periodicals Retrospective (Carnegie Mellon Users only)
Search and display citations from the Industrial Arts Index (1913-1957), and its successors, the Applied Science and Technology Index (1957-1983), and the Business Periodicals Index (1957-1983).
Applied Science and Technology Index (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Business Periodicals Index
Print: Request from Offsite
- America: History and Life (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1954-present (updated monthly).
Citations and some abstracts to journal articles, dissertations, and book and media reviews on United States and Canadian history from prehistory to the present. Covers all historical topics, including foreign policy, and a variety of disciplines including popular culture, gender studies, anthropology, literature and folklore, etc. Also has a non-US history counterpart Historical Abstracts. You can also search America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts simultaneously.
- EI Compendex. (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1884-present (updated monthly).
- Historical Abstracts (Carnegie Mellon users only)
1954-present (Updated monthly).
Citations and some abstracts of journal articles, books, and dissertations on world history from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada). It covers all historical topics, including foreign policy, and a variety of disciplines including religion, gender studies, anthropology, political science, etc. Also has a U. S. and and Canadian history counterpart, America: History and Life. You can also search America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts simultaneously.
- Industrial Arts Index
Search for citations by using the database below:
Applied Science and Business Periodicals Retrospective (Carnegie Mellon Users only)
Search for citations from the Industrial Arts Index (1913-1957), and its successors, the Applied Science and Technology Index (1957-1983), and the Business Periodicals Index (1957-1983).
- io-port.net (FIZ Karlsruhe GmbH)
Search for citations in computer science and computer technology.
- SAE Digital Library (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text. Includes over 150,000 standards, papers and related documents published in partnership with over 30 publishers. The Digital Library includes full-text access to over 9,000 SAE standards and 90,000 SAE technical papers.
- SciFinder Scholar (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Search for journal articles, patents, technical reports, books, conference proceedings, and dissertations in the areas of chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, materials science and related sciences. Citations are linked to full text articles of electronic journals to which Carnegie Mellon subscribes. Links to full text patents are also available in many cases.
- TRIS Online
Citations and some abstracts or full text to research articles, reports, books, etc. relating to the planning, development, operation, and performance of transportation systems and their components.
- Science Citation Index Expanded in Web of Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Find citations to articles in science journals as well as citation references, author's affiliation, etc.
If full text links for journal articles are not provided, click on to see retrieval options. This is only for journal article citations, and may not be available in all databases. Otherwise, use Cameo and the Find e-journal list to see if materials are available to you. If they aren't, you can use Illiad, the interlibrary loan service, to obtain the books and journals (usually takes 7-10 days), or for books, you can use EZ Borrow (usually takes about 3-5 days)
For additional resources, see History: Discussion Lists.
Back to top
- ECHO: Exploring and Collecting History Online: Science and Technology (Center for History and New Media)
- The Machine That Changed the World (Department of Computer Science, Virginia Tech)
History of the computer with links to overviews, biographies, photos, museums, etc.
- Physlink: History
Links for the history of physics.
- Voice of the Shuttle: Science, Technology, & Culture Page (Alan Liu)
Links to resources on science, medicine, technology, and cultural-studies/historical approaches to science
- WWW-VL: History: Science & Technology (George Laughead Jr.)
Below are major journals in the history of technology and science. Use the library catalog and the Find ejournal page to search for other journal titles in the Carnegie Mellon University Libraries, or use the databases listed above to find journal articles on particular topics. For additional titles, see History: Journals.
Back to top
- British Journal of the History of Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 30, 1997-present.
- ICON: The Journal of the International Committee for the History of Technology
Contents: v. 1, 1995-v. 11, 2005.
- IEEE Annals of the History of Computing (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 30, 2008-present.
IEEE Annals of the History of Computing (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 1, 1979-present.
- Isis (Carnegie Mellon users only)
- Journal of Urban Technology (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 4, 1997-present.
Journal of Urban Technology
Print: v.2, 1994-present.
- Osiris (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: v. 1, 1936-v. 15, 1968; 2nd Series: Vols. 1, 1985-20, 2006.
Print: 2nd series vol. 5-6, 1989-1991, vol. 10, 1995-present.
ENGR&SCI Q1 .O74X 2ND SER.
- Perspectives on Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: 1998-present.
Perspectives on Science
Print: v.3, 1995-present.
- Science, Technology, and Human Values (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Vols. 4, 1978-ca. v. 29, 2004.
Newsletter on Science, Technology, & Human Values (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Nos. 17, 1976-no. 24, 1978.
Newsletter of the Program on Public Conceptions of Science (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Nos. 1, 1972-v. 16, 1976.
Science & Technology Studies (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Vols. 4, 1986-5, 1987.
4S Review (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Vols. 1, 1983-3, 1985.
- Scientific American
Print: v.1-221, 1845-1969 (MICROFILM); v.222-247, 1970-82 (MICROFICHE); v.248, 1983-present.
Scientific American (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Selected current full text
Full text: 1846-1869.
- SHOT Newsletter (Society for the History of Technology)
Full text: 2002-present.
- Technology and Culture (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: 1998-present.
Technology and Culture (Carnegie Mellon users only)
Full text: Vols. 1, 1959-v. 46, 2005
Technology and Culture
Print: v.1, 1959-present.
See also the resources listed in History: Pictorial Resources.
Back to top
- Great Lakes Industrial History Center (Cleveland Digital Library)
Photographs of ports, harbors, industrial activity, etc.
- Naef & Joslin Photographs, Conneaut, Ohio (Cleveland Digital Library)
Photographs of the bulk material handling equipment and other features at the port of Conneaut.
- Inside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904 (Library of Congress, American Memory Project)
Search or browse 21 films showcasing the company's operations.
July 2011 -- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sc24/History/hots.html
Sue Collins, Senior Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org