Working-class history seminar and update on the E.P. Thompson Memorial lecture (fwd)

From: Kathleen Newman (kn4@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 17:18:01 EST

Dear All: Those of you interested in the challenges and possibilities of
organizing college students should check out this film made about 1960s
radicals that will be shown at the end of November. This will be cool!

Professor Newman

Subject: Working-class history seminar and update on the E.P. Thompson
Memorial lecture

The Working-Class History Seminar will hold its next meeting on Thursday,
November 29, 2001, at 8:00 P.M. in 1K56 Posvar Hall on the University of
Pittsburgh Oakland campus. We will show and discuss a film, "Rebels with a
Cause," directed by Helen Garvy, about one of the leading radical activist
groups of the 1960s, Students for a Democratic Society. Staughton Lynd, a
historian, activist, and former member of SDS, will give a brief
presentation and facilitate discussion. We show this film in order to
explore the relationships among history, politics, and memory, and
especially what an earlier experience of struggle can offer to younger
activists today.

We will also make available a short critique of the film written by another
historian and former member of SDS, Jesse Lemisch, who teaches at the John
Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York. Copies of "Students for a
Democratic Society, Heroically Portrayed, Before the Inexplicable Fall:
Consensus History in a Left Film" will be available in the history
department offices of Pitt and CMU about ten days before the event.

Many of you already know that the E.P. Thompson Memorial Lecture, scheduled
for October 25, 2001, was postponed because of the illness of Sheila
Rowbotham. As it happens, Professor Rowbotham is unable to reschedule for
the spring, so we have engaged a new speaker: the historical sociologist
Immanuel Wallerstein, of Binghamton and Yale Universities, who will give
the Thompson Lecture at 7:30 P.M., on Thursday, April 18, 2002, place to be
announced. Please mark the date.

Maurine W. Greenwald
Dept. of History
University of Pittsburgh