Retailing: Retailing always has been, and always will be, a huge component of the GDP of all economies. In my research, I try to understand the different aspects of both online and traditional (brick-and-mortar) retailing. I have worked on distribution channel design issues such as online platform selling (Abhishek, Jerath and Zhang 2012, Jiang, Jerath and Srinivasan 2011) and the store-within-a-store selling format in department stores (Jerath and Zhang 2010). I have also worked on pricing and promotion strategies (Goic, Jerath and Srinivasan 2011, Jerath, Netessine and Veeraraghavan 2010) and store brand strategy (Geylani, Jerath and Zhang 2011). More recently, I have become interested in understanding unorganized retailing in emerging economies and the impact of entry of organized retailers (paper coming soon). Retailing involves close coordination between the marketing and operations management departments of the firm, which has motivated some work on the marketing and operations management interface (Jerath, Netessine and Veeraraghavan 2010, Jerath, Netessine and Zhang 2010).
Online Advertising: The emergence of ground-breaking digital technologies in the last two decades has had a significant impact on how firms advertise. Motivated by this, I have studied issues in online advertising, primarily different aspects of sponsored-search advertising (Jerath, Ma, Park and Srinivasan 2011, Jerath and Sayedi 2012, Sayedi, Jerath and Srinivasan 2012, Jerath, Ma and Park 2012).
Customer-Centric Management through Data Analytics: Advances in technology have enabled firms to track and address customers individually, which has led to the development of the new paradigm of customer-centric management. I develop statistical models that can serve managers as supportive decision tools for customer-centric management. My focus has been on models for estimating customer lifetime value (Fader, Hardie and Jerath 2007a, Jerath, Fader and Hardie 2011, 2012), and on understanding and predicting customer behavior in a service-support setting, such as a call center (Jerath, Kumar and Netessine 2012). In the face of the rise of "big data," my strong belief is that the models and data structures that we use for analysis should become simpler rather than more complicated (Jerath, Fader and Hardie 2012). More recently, I have also become interested in multi-channel customer management, especially in the problem of "marketing attribution" (paper coming soon).
Other: Research on technology-based marketing has naturally led me to explore topics at the intersection of marketing and information systems (Jerath and Padmanabhan 2005, Lu, Jerath and Singh 2012).
- Lu, Yingda, Kinshuk Jerath and Param Vir Singh (2012), “The Emergence of Opinion Leaders in a Networked Online Community: A Dyadic Model with Time Dynamics and a Heuristic for Fast Estimation,” Management Science, forthcoming. [Download]
- Jiang, Baojun, Kinshuk Jerath and Kannan Srinivasan (2011), “Firm Strategies in the "Mid Tail" of Platform-Based Retailing,” Marketing Science, 30 (5), 757-775 [Lead Article]. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Peter S. Fader and Bruce G.S. Hardie (2011), “New Perspectives on Customer "Death" Using a Generalization of the Pareto/NBD Model,” Marketing Science, 30 (5), 866-880. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Liye Ma, Young-Hoon Park and Kannan Srinivasan (2011), “A "Position Paradox" in Sponsored Search Auctions,” Marketing Science, 30 (4), 612-627. [Download]
- Marcel Goic, Kinshuk Jerath and Kannan Srinivasan (2011), “Cross-Market Discounts,” Marketing Science, 30 (1), 134-148. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk and Z. John Zhang (2010), “Store Within a Store,” Journal of Marketing Research, XLVII (August), 748-763. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Serguei Netessine and Senthil Kumar Veeraraghavan (2010), “Revenue Management with Strategic Customers: Last-Minute Selling and Opaque Selling,” Management Science, 56 (3), 430-448. [Download]
- Fader, Peter S., Bruce G.S. Hardie and Kinshuk Jerath (2007a), “Estimating CLV Using Aggregated Data: The Tuscan Lifestyles Case Revisited,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21 (3), 55-71. [Download]
- Dai, Tinglong and Kinshuk Jerath (2012), “Salesforce Compensation with Inventory Considerations,” under review at Management Science. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk and Amin Sayedi (2012), “Exclusive Display in Sponsored Search Advertising,” under review at Marketing Science. [Download]
- Sayedi, Amin, Kinshuk Jerath and Kannan Srinivasan (2012), “Competitive Poaching in Sponsored Search Advertising and its Strategic Impact on Traditional Advertising,” revision invited at Marketing Science. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Peter S. Fader and Bruce G.S. Hardie (2012), “Customer-Base Analysis on a ''Data Diet'': Model Inference Using Repeated Cross-Sectional Summary (RCSS) Data,” revision invited at Management Science. [Download] (Previous title: "Customer-Base Analysis Using Repeated Cross-Sectional Summary (RCSS) Data.")
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Liye Ma and Young-Hoon Park (2012), “Consumer Click Behavior at a Search Engine: The Role of Keyword Popularity,” working paper, Carnegie Mellon University. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Anuj Kumar and Serguei Netessine (2012), “An Information Stock Model of Customer Behavior in Multichannel Customer Support Services,” working paper, Carnegie Mellon University. [Download]
- Abhishek, Vibhanshu, Kinshuk Jerath and Z. John Zhang (2012), “To Platform-Sell or Resell? Channel Structures in Electronic Retailing,” working paper, Carnegie Mellon University. [Download]
- Tansev Geylani, Kinshuk Jerath and Z. John Zhang (2011), “Store Loyalty and Competitive Store Brand Strategy,” working paper, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Serguei Netessine and Z. John Zhang (2010), “Can We All Get Along? Incentive Contracts to Bridge the Marketing and Operations Divide,” working paper, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Jerath, Kinshuk, Serguei Netessine and Senthil Kumar Veeraraghavan (2009), “Selling to Strategic Customers: Opaque Selling Strategies,” in Operations Management Models with Consumer-Driven Demand (Eds: Serguei Netessine and Christopher S. Tang), Springer. [Download]
- Jerath, Kinshuk and Balaji Padmanabhan (2005), “Query-Driven Conceptual Browsing: A Semi-Automated Approach for Building and Exploring Concepts on the Web,” Proceedings of WITS 2005, 117-122. [Download]
TeachingI am teaching the following UG courses in Fall 2012.
I taught the following UG, MBA and PhD courses in Spring 2012.
I taught the following PhD course in Mini 1 in Fall 2011.
Last updated: December 2012.
Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox.