News & announcements
Saving your history
-:- Site map -:- Links -:- Print
of Freeland, Pa.
St. James Episcopal Church
| [Images from C. Tancin
unless otherwise credited.]
The original St. James Episcopal Church in the area was built in Drifton in 1883. Its congregation included the Coxe family. In 1887 an ancillary chapel was established in Freeland.
In the early 1970s the congregation was transferred back to the "mother church" in Drifton (shown at left), and in 1973 the chapel was purchased by local hardware store owner Tom Bonomo who converted it into an apartment building of six units, called the St. James Apartments. The photos on this page were taken in 1999 or later.
City directory listings:
1897 - St. James' Chapel, Washington below South [pastor???] (listed in city directory)
1921- Episcopal Church - 435 Washington; Rev. Ralph A. Weatherly, pastor
1928 - St. James P. E. Chapel - 439 Washington (listed in Polk directory)
Sanborn map listings:
1895 - P. & E. Church - 701 S. Washington St. (old numbering, between Luzerne and South) (as shown on Sanborn map)
1900 - P. & E. Church (as shown on Sanborn map)
1905 - P. & E. Church (as shown on Sanborn map)
1912 - P. E. Church (as shown on Sanborn map)
1923 - P. E. Church (as shown on Sanborn map)
1929 - St. James' Episcopal Church (as shown on Sanborn map)