Assistant Professor of Statistics and Public Policy
- Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University
- Office: Hamburg Hall 2224
- Email: achould(at)cmu.edu
- Phone: 412-268-4414
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Stanford University, 2014
- B.Sc. in Mathematical Statistics, University of Toronto, 2005-2009
My research focuses on problems related to fairness in predictive modeling. I work on better understanding how to assess black-box predictors for potentially unanticipated biases that could lead to discriminatory practices. Questions that I am actively investigating include:
- Under what conditions can disparate impact arise?
- How can we quantitatively characterize fairness?
- How can we use such characterizations to develop improved systems that are less likely to result in disparate impact?
I'm also generally interested in applied statistics and statistical methodology, particularly in the areas of large scale multiple testing and high dimensional data analysis. My focus in this area is on non-standard testing setups where the hypotheses being tested are data-driven or structured (e.g., spatially or sequentially).
Publications and Preprints:
- Alexandra Chouldechova, Max G'Sell. Fairer and more accurate, but for whom? (FAT/ML 2017) (arXiv)
- Alexandra Chouldechova. Fair prediction with disparate impact: A study of bias in recidivism prediction instruments Big Data, Special issue on Social and Technical Trade-Offs (2017) (arXiv)
- Alexandra Chouldechova, Trevor Hastie. Generalized additive model selection (Submitted) (arXiv)
- Kanji, HD., Chouldechova, A., Harvey, C., Porter, R., Gratrix M., Faulkner G., Peek G. Safety and outcomes of mobile ECMO using a bicaval dual-stage venous catheter. ASAIO Journal (2017)
- Max Grazier G'Sell, Stefan Wager, Alexandra Chouldechova, Robert Tibshirani. Sequential selection procedures and false discovery rate control JRSS B (2016) (arXiv)
- Alexandra Chouldechova, David Mease. Differences in search engine evaluations between query owners and non-owners. In Proceedings of the sixth ACM international conference on Web search and data mining. (WSDM 2013) (ACM DL)
- Liu, J., Narsinh, K. H., Lan, F., Wang, L., Nguyen, P. K., Hu, S., Lee, A., Han, L., Gong, Y., Huang, M., Nag, D., Rosenberg, J., Chouldechova, A., Robbins, R. C., Wu, J. C. Early stem cell engraftment predicts late cardiac functional recovery: preclinical insights from molecular imaging. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, 5(4), 481-490. (2012) (PubMed)
- Diwakar, IB., Chouldechova, A., Clements, MA., & Padman, R. On Extracting Features from Asynchronous Multivariate Data Streams
- Clusterwise False Discovery Rate Control for Spatial Data via the Poisson Clumping Heuristic
- False Discovery Rate and Exceedance Control Methods for Region of Interest Detection
- False Discovery Rate Control for Spatial Data, Stanford 2014.(pdf)